1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn gets a good beating but watch this space

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Matt-tropical, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Matt-tropical

Matt-tropical Gardener

Process operator
    Ratings:
    +116
    7C2F5FCB-C390-402D-A031-AFA88895F71A.jpeg7310B3D0-56A2-4603-A41B-ABA28258A4A7.jpeg16EF09FD-134D-4F53-9CF0-0A6456435B48.jpeg Yesterday I gave the lawn a proper bashing,now whilst these pics will probably give fellow lawn care nuts a heart attack this is the 3rd time I’ve done this with great results. First up I used the spring cartridge in the machine to heavy rake the lawn and collect stones and rubbish up. Next up came the big guns blade really tearing it up on the full depth setting. Now I know this is too harsh for most but with 20 kg of grass seed on hand I’m no novice to this and wanted to show others that sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. Finally the lawn was aerated and sharp sand cast across the area, the area has been pre treated with granular fert 2 weeks ago. Last up using a drop spreader about 10kg of grass seed was spread in both directions to ensure good coverage. When I remove the poly tunnel in next 2 weeks I will do the small patch under that. Now I’m sure some will jump in and say where I’ve not followed the usual way and they would be totally right, this post is for those who worry about tackling the grass for fear of ruining it so I will update this over the next few weeks to give comfort for those who have never scarified and renovated before as I’ve had some great info from everyone here and thought it’s time to give something back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +5,898
      Great believer in giving the lawn a "good beating" Matt......usually do mine in autumn. People think Ive destroyed it :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
      • Zola

Zola Gardener

Ratings:
        +45
      • Matt-tropical

Matt-tropical Gardener

Process operator
        Ratings:
        +116
        Will post some pics over weekend been mega busy doing garden but the results are good :hapfeet:

• PetalsonthePavingSlabs

PetalsonthePavingSlabs Apprentice Gardener

Environmental Health
        Ratings:
        +21
        As someone with no grass (hence the user name!) I look forward to seeing how you get on with this. I do plan to have a bit of grass at some point, but need to wait for the decking to break and die first. Thanks for showing us.