Lawn Help Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by tonyscotland, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tonyscotland

tonyscotland Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

New here hoping for some advice on what to do with my small back garden.:flag:

Last year I laid turf and after a while it died off due to poor drainage.

I planned to re lay a new lawn this year.

However on digging down a few feet the soil is very poor - it is all stones, sand and where there is soil it is very grey and clay like.

Am unsure what to do - is it worth perservering and attempt to put down new grass or what do you think.

All replies appreciated.

Thanks

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Firstly, why are you digging down a few feet? Normally, the best soil is the top 8 to 9 inches, below that is sub soil. Which is usually poor and without many nutrients. Just cultivate the topsoil and lay the turf on that, DO NOT bring the subsoil to the surface.:gnthb:

3. Osbaldwick

Osbaldwick Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We had a small lawn professionally turfed a few weeks ago by a friend. He removed the top few inches of the old lawn and soil below. What was below that is as the OP described - we live in a clay area. Basically top soil was laid over the subsoil and the turf laid on top of that.

We weren't supposed to walk on it for a few weeks and we religiously watered it and now it looks really good.