Lawn looking very sad

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Meomye, Jul 14, 2024.

1. Meomye

Meomye Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    My lawn is looking very sad and full of weeds. I don't mind the odd weed and I am not looking for an immaculate lawn but it does seem to be failing more every year. I would like to know what I can do to just have a half decent lawn, eg, should I be feeding it, if so how often and with what? tia

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,690
    Have you tried a feed and weed type product?. They work well in my experience getting those low growing weeds that regular mowing doesn't catch.

Is it shaded? Mossy?

3. Meomye

Meomye Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    @JWK, thanks for reply. I have not not tried a weed and feed combo, but have previously tried a lawn weed killer but doesn't seem to do much. Some parts are shaded by trees and it does get mossy but I did scarify in spring.

4. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Try Evergreen 4 in 1 @Meomye, read the instructions carefully beforehand and you should see improvements within a few days. It blackened the moss in my lawn overnight, I waited a couple of weeks before scarifying again and then another 6 weeks before reseeding some bare patches.