Lawn-Moss sclarifier??

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by non.gardner.really, Oct 31, 2005.

1. non.gardner.really

non.gardner.really Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am very new to gardening and my lawn is very spongy - i have been told its because there is a lot of moss in it - i have tried raking it an found this to be true, but it takes ages.

someone mentioned a 'sclarifier'- i can't find anythign on the net about thi, is this the right name?

Its an electrical/petrol item that works like a rake making the whole process a lto quicker.

I live in Cheshire so am looking to perhaps hire one locally if anyone knows anywhere that could help.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes you can get machines that will scarify a lawn, but they don't do as good a job I hear as the sprung rake. Boring and tedious is may be - but those tines remove all the thatch and some of the moss.

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    As Fran and Liz said scarifying is one good way, easiest probably, You could hire a scarifier half day of coarse, moss may return though mine does. Be prepared for a lot of debris and not a lot of grass seemingly I do mine in the spring.

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I've given up - it hurts my already painful shoulders too much to scarify. And the grass looks ghastly! So I'm now thinking of getting rid, extending the beds and putting shingle on what's left. Never sit out on the grass anyway so what's the point!!! And I don't get time to mow it often enough so it's full of moss and stuff! [​IMG]

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I know the feeling michaelmas daisy. However that said, I haven't given up hope on mine - and morning exercises sorted the shoulder problems for me - thanks to my local osteopath.