Lawn problem.Help!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Dave Parker, May 1, 2016.

1. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all. I'm new to the forum and, although not the most confident gardener, I've been quite proud of my lawn work over the last 3 years! However, I now seem to have a problem. I have a few patches like the one in the picture, and would be grateful for some assistance please. I've got a garden type party (not that posh!) mid June, so I was hoping my lawn would be looking good by then. Many thanks 20160425_192724.jpg

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Hi and welcome Dave to the forum.
    A couple of questions.
    Have you fed the lawn not just this year but last year and what fertiliser and when was it applied?
    How many patches do you have on the lawn?
    Have you seen any white fluffy type growth on these patches?
    Did these patches appear when the weather turned wet and cold?
    Did these patches appear with the rise in temperatures?

3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for responding. Please find below my answers to your questions. I hope they help, and that you can help!

Have you fed the lawn not just this year but last year and what fertiliser and when was it applied? I've used Evergreen 4 in 1 for about 4 years now, and it's normally worked really well. This year, only 3 or 4 weeks ago.
    How many patches do you have on the lawn? There are 3 patches, all with some green grass growing through.
    Have you seen any white fluffy type growth on these patches? I don't think so, but I might need another look!
    Did these patches appear when the weather turned wet and cold? I can't say a definite yes, but on reflection that could be right.
    Did these patches appear with the rise in temperatures? I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
    • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +7,094
      I would spike it with a fork,to let air in.
      Then soak the affected areas with miracle grow or photogen twice a week.
      It's good growing weather now .........so worth a try.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      As the grass is bleached in colour and as I can't see or test the area the only possible cause for the bleaching is an organism called Microdochium nivale which is found in Fusarium patch and Pink snow mould.
      This happens mostly when a high N feed is used in or when low temperatures are present. High humidity and thatch can also contribute to this problem.
      If it is Fusarium then it's best to simply aerate the ground, don't add a fertiliser at this stage.

Do you scarify each year?

• Like Like x 1
      • JeffNev

JeffNev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +23
        The weather is set to get much hotter in the coming weeks - I would prepare by airing out the grass as suggested and be sure to keep an eye on the changes.

It looks to me as if it is in need of some hydration too.