Lawn weeds - Help and advice please

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Bashy, May 4, 2008.

1. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have two weeds in my lawn. The first seems to be spreading throughout the whole lawn really rapidly and is everywhere.
    The second has just started and is spreading, although slower than the first.

About a month ago, I used a westland weed feed and miss killer on the lawn. It hasn't got rid of these little blighters though.
    Can anyone identify them and advise of how to get rid of them?

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the 'weeds' you have in your first picture are just grass seedheads - not a weed atall (unless you count them as sowing into your borders). Keeping the grass really short regularly is the only way I can think to stop the seedheads (if they bother you).

The second pictures looks like a different kind of grass - a broad leaved variety. or maybe a sheath of barley or an oat grass 9do you feed the birds?)

Either way, the grass looks great (no signs of moss or buttercups/clover/daisies/dandilions/ground elder or any of the other 'weeds'!)

3. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jarbax,
    Yeah. My father in law said it was lawn seed heads, b ut between me and you, I didn't believe him.
    I will just have to keep the grass short then eh!!!
    Will they self seed the lawn then?

As for the other weed, yes you are spot on, that spot is EXACTLY below my hanging bird table where the bird seed goes. Should I stop this??
    Can I not get a treatment to eradicate this one?
    Thanks for your comments.

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hiya Bashy!

I suppose they would self seed the lawn, if there's room for more!. I'm not sure at which point they set seed - I think they are in the flowering stage in your pic, so will not go to seed if mown!

Don't stop feeding the birds! You could move your table if the barley stuff bothers you - or buy a 'no mess seed' - where the seed won't grow if dropped (I think they chop it up more finely, and miss out the worst culprits). It is a bit more expensive - but worth it (the birds think so too!) :)

5. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jarbax. Sound advice. Have a good day