Lawnmowers....

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Fat Controller, Jun 29, 2024.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,808
    Does anyone make such a thing as a good lawnmower that doesn't cost the earth? I bought one probably only three years ago now and whilst initial impressions were really good, I have spent far too much of my time swearing at it.

I took the blade off it today and put a bit of an edge on it (not properly sharpened, I hasten to add, but better..) and whilst there was a bit of an improvement, it was still a battle to get the grass cut. Everything was perfectly dry and it wasn't even that long.

It seems to really struggle with getting the clippings into the basket for some reason - works better with the mulching plug in, if anything, but it has a terrible habit of gathering a big glob of grass at the ends of the blades which subsequently lock the thing solid. Bluntly, I have had enough (and fairly sure the neighbours will have had enough of me turning the air blue)

I looked at Bosch, as my last mower was a Bosch and was an excellent bit of kit untl it's demise after ten or more years' service. But, the current Bosch range seems to get very (very) mixed reviews, which put me off a bit. Especially as some of the complaints relate to grass collection.

I don't have a very large bit of grass to cut, although it does seem that mowing the verges in the street seems to be falling to me now too. The going does seem to be tough here for some reason, so something wtih a bit of grunt wouldn't go amiss.

Am I looking at a petrol?

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,287
    Hi FC ,

Had the same problem the other year as there are a lot of poor reviews of the Bosch Rotak corded mowers.

We did end up buying one of them and for two years mowing been happy with it.

Think the biggest complaint you read about is the grass box and the way the two halves chip together, or better put, do not have enough strong clips all the way around it so make it feel solid.
    As long as you exercise some care and don't lift a full load of clippings at the front weaker point don't think its a problem.

The other complaint seems to be about the handle which can be released by some clamp type catches to allow it to be folded up.
    These clamps can be adjusted for the pressure needed to clamp securely, but if done too tight then the lever needs a lot of pressure to complete the clamp, expect folk over tighten and then the plastic clamp snaps off. We just use the clamp on a light pressure, never caused a problem.

Otherwise it works well, nice stripe, good range of easy height adjustments, collection box at the back makes it easier to cut than with a front mounted box. Pleased with ours ! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +51,808
      Thanks @ricky101 - it was a Rotak that I had (albeit a very much older and distant grandparent to the models available now), but noticed the they had gone to a half bag half hard plastic basket arrangement (which the current mower has, and is suitably awful); I see complaints on grass collection too, so I assume yours is OK in that respect?

Rotak 650 & 750 both on the table at the moment I think;

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,287
      Hi FC,

Ours is the Rotak 34R which has an all hard plastic grass box, the ones you are looking at do seem to have a fabric bottom half to the grass box, perhaps thats something to do with the complaints you have seen, though ours collects and holds ok.

Its cut is 34cm wide and weighs 11kg, the 650 seems a lot dearer for its 42cm cut and a bit heavier at 16kg, do you need one so big ?

Perhaps worth a trip to a bigger b&q store who usually have a few Bosch mowers on display for you to get the feel of ?

34R
      002109.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,808
        Not necessarily width wise, no - current one is 37cm wide and not bad size wise. Grunt is what is needed though, especially when doing out front. Current one is 1600w and seems to really battle. The old Bosch would steam through without complaint for the most part.

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,148
        Try using it to cut just 250mm at a time. It may be that the crop is too dense to clear the full width in to the box. I also find it will only handle 2 notches up the scale , meaning a two week growth is too much at this time of year.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        I bought an electric mower once and never again, the other thing is, and not being critical, but do you cut it often.
        I see lots of people around here struggling with electric mowers, mostly because they dont cut the grass often enough.

I use a Mountfield petrol mower, I dont have much grass but its wonderful, its only a push one, but light, and starts first pull.

• Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,808
          I generally do only keep it on 2 or 3 notches up, but I suppose it could be density (although you wouldn't think that looking at my 'lawn' :heehee:)

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,808
          Every week to two weeks as a general rule - it can slip sometimes if work etc bites me on the bum, but I don't like to let it get out of hand. The thing that sticks with me is that I rarely struggled with the Bosch; this thing struggles like hell almost immediately. Very odd that it is better when set up to not collect the grass clippings, but even then it battles. When cutting the front, I generally attack it in small diagonals - if I tried to run straight along, it would bog down immediately.

upload_2024-6-29_19-4-45.png

Given I've got two strips of that same length, plus the bit around the telegraph pole, it can be a proper pain in the posterior.... hence, a petrol one had entered my head, especially so as there isn't as much between electric and petrol as I had first thought in terms of price.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,287
            Wonder if its not so much the length of the verge grass thats the problem, rather that its uneven ground and the blade is gouging into the base of the grass or soil as you move along.

When you feel the mower stalling over a section does it look scalped ?

Have you tried it with the blade /wheels set to the highest clearance ?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,808
            No, and I never run it low at all out the front. Usually start at 5 (highest) then run back over at 3, never going below that. Indeed, I rarely go below that out the back to be fair.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +91,679
            That's not much grass to be honest. If its hard work cutting that then the mower is rubbish.

I'm not sure how low you are cutting but too low and into the thatch that may be below could jam it up.
            My neighbours garden always looks like a hay field after he has cut in very low after doing nothing much all winter.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,808
            See, that is the conclusion I have arrived at - it is rubbish. I'm cutting generally 3, maybe 2 (on a 1-5 level scale); Murray are apparently the electric brand of Briggs and Stratton, so I had high hopes... but I have a feeling it is just any old Chinese made product with a Murray sticker whacked on the side.

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +8,870
            I have a Bosch electric mower, it has 3 settings, I use No.2.
            No problems with the mower, but have to admit the cuttings
            don't always find there way into the grass box.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +51,808
              Is it a fairly new one? It seems that is a trait of the newer models (maybe 2016 onwards)?