1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawnmowers

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by RachelN76, Apr 9, 2011.

1. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    Talk to me about mowers.

Hubby has just informed me (as he mows the lawn in the dark - don't ask!) that our lawnmower is no good for our 'type of lawn'. The phrase 'a bad workman always blames his tools comes to mind'.....

So bearing in mind that he knows even less about gardening than I do (if that's possible) - could he possibly be right, and should I let him buy yet another mower.

We don't have a massive lawn
    [​IMG]

That shows you the size quite nicely, but we've since got rid of the molehills and i don't know why there are soily patches there, they aren't there now.

We used to have an enormous petrol mower, that he liked, but it was MASSIVE and took up literally the whole shed. So now we have an electric mower. It's a flymo, but I don't think it's a hover version. He says it is, but it looks nothing like the hover version my dad used to have.

Now, I think it's not cutting the grass brilliantly for a couple of reasons
    1. Because it needed doing about a month ago and he never did it, so now the grass is crazy long.
    2. The lawn isn't in great condition so it's quite bumpy
    3. Because it's bl@@dy dark out there and he can't see what he's doing, but he's in a mood now and is insisting that he carries on! :loll:

So, any suggestions?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The lawn is in poor condition because of the winter we have just suffered. A better mower may be a Hayter self drive. That would be a good compromise for you, BUT, the lawn needs feeding and scarifying. I reckon he will only cut it in the dark because he`s shy about using a liitle electric mower.:yess:

3. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    ROFL!! you could be right. He named the old petrol mower. He called it Metallica.

Sigh. Boys and their toys.

The lawn has been fed (we have greenthumb come round) and i started scarifying it, but I was scared I was ripping it to pieces!

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The dead stuff wont come back, get it out, any patches can be reseeded easily enough. Why pay through the nose for Greenthumb when you could do the job yourselves for about a 10th the price they charge?:thumbsup:

5. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    Right! I'll get on with it then, and stop being a wimp about it! :loll:

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Bowling green = Cylinder mower
    Utility lawn = Rotary

Half-way-house = Rotary with a rear roller.

Cylinder needs to be self propelled (ones that aren't are for tiny lawns only), Rotary can be either, although the ones with rear-roller need to be self-propelled.

Self-propelled, and not Metalica-large :) would mean you could mow the lawn (if you want to).

Cut the lawn twice a week at this time of year, the rate of growth of the grass makes the job a nightmare otherwise.

Cutting frequently would mean you could avoid collecting the grass if you wish.

Rear-roller will give you nice stripes. Hover mower won't give you stripes. Hover mower is good for slopes / banks, pushing back-and-froth (such as under bushes / trees, like using a Hoover under furniture). If you don't have those issues (doesn't look like it from the photo) then I don't see the benefit of a Hover for you.

If you want a smarter looking lawn then keep it mowed frequently, and short enough, as that will reduce the rougher grasses and allow the finer ones to compete, and over-sow with some grass seed (i.e. containing finer grasses) periodically (too lazy to get up and get the book to remind me if its Spring or Autumn!).

Lawns take quite a lot of work to look smart, BUT a smart lawn sets off the rest of the garden and people won't notice some weeds etc. in the beds.

• Like Like x 1
    • wozwoz

wozwoz Gardener

gardener
      Ratings:
      +17
      Hello lovely . Dai took the words out of my mouth - Hayters r lovely mowers and r a joy to use and they look manly enough to use during the day !! They aren't cheap but as per usual , u get what u pay for and a cheap mower can be hell !!! When u scarify u drag out the nasty cloggy thatch but u also cut the grass plants into smaller pieces . As I understand it , the grass roots along the way so when u chop it up a bit scarifying u r actually cutting it into many smaller grass plants . Once these have grown on u have a thicker , more lush lawn .

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,566
      Did they see me coming! I bought a Hayter petrol mower two years ago and I hate it. It's so temperamental. Even after servicing I've had nothing but trouble trying to start it (pull cord). With a dead-mans handle to contend with it's no joke. I'm told there's nothing wrong with it! :gaagh:
      Wish I'd stuck with a Honda.

• RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
      Ratings:
      +15
      I think it was a Mountfield petrol we used to have. But the thing was so heavy there was no way I could shift it. i think it weighed more than I did, plus we have steps up from the shed to the lawn!

I got out there and did a bit of raking today though. It's hard work though! Does look a bit better in the places that I did though. Should get it all done in a week - just in time to start again i imagine. :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      "It's hard work though!"

But cheaper than Gym Membership :thumb:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,381
      I think Kristen has said most of it.

With a rear roller it will also, very gradually, help flatten the uneven bits a little bit.

Sheal,
      I have a fairly big Hayter (rotary) that is about 15 years old. I have it serviced every other year and it never gives me any trouble. It normally starts first or second pull. I do find that I have to press the primer (little rubber bulb) more than they recommend in the handbook. They say 5-7 times, I always do it 20 times.

If you're still having trouble why not contact Hayter - 01279 723444 (they're just down the road from me). It could be that the shop that sold it don't really know what they are doing.

• mrSean

mrSean Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hey, I am also looking for a lawnmower, so we can help each other ;)
      At first I was looking at ebay, and then got to this site, where people sell their used grass equipment (as seen here), So I have more options now. But I am still reading and choosing a lawnmower, haven't bought one yet.