1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

laying artificial grass on slabs?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by keithhampson, Jul 9, 2012.

1. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have an area 3m x 3m which is slabbed, I want to pur some artificial turf over them is it just a case of laying it on top of the slabs? If so do I need any specific glue to fasten it to the slabs? The slabs are pretty flat but old and if I can help it I don't really want to start pulling them up. Any help would be great

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Also what and how is the best way to join 2 pieces of artificial grass?

Keith

• mikiejack

mikiejack Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      Hello.
      I put some down over a 27sq meter area. I got the basic stuff £5.99 a square meter. It's heavy enough not to need fastening down. However, I just put heavy planters on the corners just in case of strong wind.

Under it I added sharp builders sand. This gives it a soft step when you walk on it, corrects any imperfections below, and helps drain water much easier.

• mikiejack

Ratings:
      +5
      Oh, no need to have joins as the one I got was 3.8m wide by whatever length I wanted. Most suppliers did a 4m wide by up to 9m long.

• keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Where can I buy artificial grass from? The only place I can find to buy it is eBay, also if I put sharp sand on top of slabs, will it wash away with the rain?

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      ho
      homebase may stock some (I've seen samples displayed there)

• mikiejack

Ratings:
      +5
      I still have the invoice at home, so I will check tonight. It was 5.99 inc vat per square meter plus shipping. For the base version, quality and weight is good.

Home base could be possible, b&q does sell it for sure. It's twice the price as the stuff I bought, and not quite as good quality but depends on delivery charges I suppose.

Ref the sand, it shouldn't. I put the sand down with a gap of 5 cm to the edge. Despite heavy rain and use, no sand has come out. No edging was used either, the astro holds it in place. Sharp sand is very cheap though. Single 25kg bags are £1.81 from b&q and you would only need a few. Worth risking before considering edging.

I'll come back to you later ref the supplier.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,166
      google ASTRO TURF. £5.99pp per sq metre

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      if you watch Big Brother on tv, the lawn is astroturf, and all the plants are plastic

the lawn looks good though

• mikiejack

Ratings:
      +5
      It really does. I found the supplier whilst looking for a cheap version. It was something like £20sq/m though!

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      I have 2 clients with small gardens (I only get called to work there when the grass is knee high) ...

I'm trying to convince them to lay astroturf as they don't want paving slabs ... they also don't weed and their properties are an eyesore to the neighbours (I work for the neighbours on both sides of each property)

• keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Does it go mouldy when it gets damp? How long does it last and anyone know how much it costs to be laid professionally per sq m? Obviously I know it varies on quality, quantity and the job itself, just wondered as I would love my garden all doing.

As to laying it myself, how deep should the sharp sand be and how is best to compact it or don't I compact it? Going to order some this weekend.

Keith

• mikiejack

Ratings:
      +5
      It doesn't go mouldy, or break down. Mine came with either a 10 or 15 year guarantee, can't remember which. Should it become a little mossy over winter, you can actually power wash it. My sand depth varies due to the imperfections of the base it is laid on. I used it also to level it. I would say and inch or more thick, but then that's personal opinion rather than fact.

Pro installation will be similar to carpet. It's dead easy to do unless you have curved edges to your garden. I am crap at DIY, yet I managed to cut a 7m side quite straight with a Stanley knife, just by doing it slowly and in sections.

• mikiejack

Ratings:
      +5
      Found it, but whilst reducing the price to 5.75sq/m, they have reduced the width from 3.8 meters wide to just 2 for the basic version. Normally widths are 2m, 3.8, and 4 in artificial grass, so you'll find a size to trim down.

http://www.artificialgrass-direct.com/

Maybe better to look on google rather than joining 2m pieces.

• keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      If I put sand down does it need to be compacted it or just spread it about evenly and roughly level?