Leaf Mulch

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by MrMorgan, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MrMorgan

MrMorgan Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Well Veggie Patch was finally cleared this weekend, novice grower so no planning ahead with winter crops :(

Anyway the veggie patch this year is going to become a strawberry bed and a new veggie patch which is a bit bigger is in the 'thinking' stages of construction which is probably as far as most of my great plants get.

Anyhow in preparation for the strawberries I thought I should revitalise the soil. Now we have inherited tons of well-rotted leaf mulch from the previous occupants so can I just launch a load of that on the soil and let the worms take their course or do I need to be digging it in?

Am I right in thinking that leaf mulch won't actually add many nutrients to the soil and if I intend to plant strawberries in there imminently am I risking damaging them?

I thought I had some compost but despite my best efforts the compost is'nt quite ready yet. Anything else I can do too improve the soil before planting? I've made up a nettle broth and live 5 miles from the sea so seaweed also an option.

Many thanks,

MrM

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr M,

Leafmold is ideal for Strawberries, they were originally a woodland plant. You are right, there is not a lot of nutrient in it but it is a good soil conditioner & will hold moisture.

Seaweed is good, needs rotting down & raining on to get the salt out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Oh, the worms will dig it in if you don't want to. But the Badgers will throw it everywhere to get at the worms.

• Like Like x 2