Leaning Rose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Foxy2006, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Foxy2006

Foxy2006 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I planted a small Rose last year.In a year its grown very nicely and already im getting small roses come up.The only problem i have is thats its to heavy and its main stem is supporting it and it seems like its going to snap at any minute. I was thinking of putting a small bit of wood next to it as a support.Whats the best way of supporting the wood to the stem ? Can i just tape it or is there a certain way ?

Thanks

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Foxy, what type of rose is it? If it`s a climber it will want something to grow up. If it`s a shrub-type rose then you could get some bamboo canes and tie the stems to them using small tree ties, David.

3. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Foxy - it sounds as though you have a climber or rambler both of which need support as they can grow to great heights. They are better planted against a fence/wall where they can be tied in or against a rtree and allowed to ramble through the branches. If smaller then by all means use a stake of some sort and tie in with gardeners string.

Best of luck.