LED solar powered lights?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Small orange giraffe, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Small orange giraffe

Small orange giraffe Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Are they any good?

I've had normal solar lights before and they were rubbish - a horrid bright yellow colour and didn't light up anything!

I'm just wondering if the new style LED versions are any better/brighter?

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    LED lights are possibly 50% more efficient than than incandescent bulbs. But 50% more of not much is still not much.

3. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we have just bought some solar powered deck lights the flat walk over type they are fine for what we want dont give out a great deal of light but its enough for the effect we require.we dont want it to look like an airport runway.hope you fid what you need

4. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    afraid we`ve gone a bit mad with the solar powered lights , we got the extra bright ones reduced down to 11.99 can`t remember if that was for two or three , also got the rock lights that can also be used in ponds for the same price , they give a nice glow

5. dancing queen

dancing queen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    forgot to say we bought them in woolworths , is there a woolies on VENUS :D [​IMG]

6. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    i brought some of these solar powered lights from my local Netto. They are brighter than my next door neighbours, but reflect the light towards the floor and they were only �£2.50 each (bargain)

7. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I fancy some of the pond ones dancing queen I will get on the woolies web site and have a look for some .Don't you get some bargains from the shops like netto lidl and aldi.I enjoy wandering around there counters with all the bits and pieces on them.

8. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Small orange giraffe (I love your name BTW), I think your "horrid bright yellow ...." did more than my hard-to-be-seen one which I bought a couple of years ago. It gave our next-door-neighbours had a good laugh every time they saw it giving off a weak glow in the evening. It was on sale for ââ??¬5, down from ââ??¬10, and I thought it was a good buy, wish now I had spent the money on something better and worthwhile. However, I have since heard that there are different qualities, depending on the power cell in them. I obviously bought a not-so-good one.

We fancy these ones you put in the driveway to do as T says, to just give enough light for effect and to light the way to the front door and certainly not like an airport runway! We'll look around and get the proper ones this time, even if they cost a bit more - cheaper in the long run.

Those ones for in the pond sound good, bet they look nice.