Leek seedlings splitting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Leadbelly, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Looking for advice. Using small pots I planted some leek seeds using the tunnel to bring them on, I must stress this is my first time from seed and using the tunnel the seedlings grow to about 2" high so I replanted them into a raised bed within the tunnel to aid there growth with the intention to plant outside once they had reached pencil size. The seedlings are now about 3/4 inches high but they have split into two equal sized shoots is this normal or have I planted on to early. I have tried to look this up in my gardening books and cannot find any info on this matter. I am just taking it for granted within my own head that a leek should have a single shoot.

Thanks in advance Russ.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Is it 2 definite shoots or 2 leaves Russ? Any chance of a pic?

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    That behaviour sounds more like an Onion - Japanese Onions, or possibly Spring onions

Can you post a photograph? I think that would help.

4. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    most of my "musselborough" seedlings have done the same thing. I assumed it was a "main" shoot with a side leafy bit so haven't been too worried about it.....until now!

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I think what you are describing is just the main shoot bent over and not yet fully sprung out of the soil - which is how they emerge and nothing abnormal. It should spring out in a week or so. A photo would help to confirm.

6. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for the delay I have been tiling and fitting the bathroom for she who must be obeyed, just taken photo this morning a week on from my post and things seem much the same.

Russ.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Now I see the photo its not what I thought in my post #5 LB. Did you sow two seeds? If not it is very strange - something I've not seen before. Nice crop of spuds you have there to compensate :)

8. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No John they were just single seeds started in small pots and as they reached about 2" high I planted on into the bed as in the photo then within a few days the second leaf/shoot appeared. I only planted them into the bed to bring on the size of about a pencil as it tells you to do on the packet, then I was going to plant them outside. this is my real first year at trying to grow veg, did a little last year just spuds and toms mainly. I am thinking I might have transplanted them a little to deep and the shoot splitting is just a second leaf tweaking from ground level, If so what should I do.

Russ.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I am thinking I might have transplanted them a little to deep and the shoot splitting is just a second leaf tweaking from ground level, If so what should I do."

If that's the case I reckon they'll be fine - they will, after all, be "buried" when you transplant them.

Might have some dirt "inside" them though, when you come to east them

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    They look like normal leeks to me. They do form more than one leaf, you have just buried them below where the second leaf has emerged. I would not worry about them especially as you are going to transplant them again anyway.

11. Brian Simpson

Brian Simpson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine have done exactly the same - so I also hope they're not going to be a problem

We'll report back later eh?