Leeks and Carrots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by strongylodon, Feb 8, 2012.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Strangely, after growing literally millions of Bedding plants over the last thirty years, apart from Toms and Courgettes, I have never grow any other veg.

Now I have a small patch (not the bald one the veg one:D) I need to know what are the best Carrot and Leek seed to buy? Are Leeks ok to grow on sandy soil? I know carrots are.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Sandy soil should be ok, but add a fair bit of well rotted manure or compost to aid water retention. They are hungry feeders so a dressing of a balanced fertiliser before planting (or sowing) is a good idea as is an occasional liquid feed.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    For carrots I've been growing Nantes 2 and Autumn King for a few years, nice sized and good flavour, and they store really well. In fact we still have a few in the ground, although frozen now they will be fine once the thaw comes. For leeks I've grown Mussleburgh for the last few years with good results. Last season Kristen gave me some Carlton F1 leek seed and I can't tell the difference between them and the much cheaper seed Mussleburgh.

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Like John I grow Autumn King carrots - great crop and does keep in the ground. I also grow Sugarsnax - a smaller carrot as an earlier crop.
    Leek - I used to grow Musselburgh and it grew well but had a tendency to develop rust so I now go for rust resistant varieties.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I also agree with Aurtumn King carrots, New Red Intermediate is also very good. As for leeks, you can`t go far wrong with Mussleburgh and Lyon Prizetaker.:dbgrtmb:

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Thanks for that:thumbsup:, I have three large bags of mature horse manure to dig in. I've seen a lot of Autumn King in the GCs so I thought it was a popular choice.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "For leeks I've grown Mussleburgh for the last few years with good results"

Me too. I reckon the Carlton F1 were earlier and fatter, but not by much, and I ain't paying silly-money for a packet with hardly any seeds in it. A packet of Mussleburgh has loads of seeds in it and lasts me years (I only sow about 100 seeds per season, all neatly spaced 1" - 1.5" apart in a polystyrene box [sort you get from a fishmonger] of multi-purpose compost, and then plant-out from there when they get to biro-refill size or (if I'm lucky!) the requisite pencil-thickness)

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I'll give Autumn King and Mussleburgh ago.:dbgrtmb:
    Coincidently, Kristen, I brought a poly fish box home, among other bits and bobs, when I finished work as I've always used them for cuttings.

9. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    Confused with growing conditions for Carrots
    I understood stone free soil and not well nurished or roots will fork

Then I have read stone free, loose soil, well nurished with compost ? BBC GARDENING FEATURE ?

Jack McH

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Don't confuse 'compost' with 'manure' Jack. Manure will make them fork, but compost does improve growing in heavy soil. I use a mixture of compost - from the heap and old grow bag stuff and sifted garden soil. Dibble deep holes and fill them with the mixture. Grows great carrots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I only grow my Carrots in pots now (any old multi purpose compost left over from previous use, mixed 50:50 with sharp sand). I found them hit and miss outside, and our heavy clay soil not ideal, plus when they are close to ready I bring the pot near the house so we can "harvest" them easily. But its a bit of a high-faff method.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      Thanks for that
      That is exactly what I was believing Dave

Lol I have been digging out composted soil in my proposed carrot bed, and filling it with basic soil and sharp sand from around my borders (silly booger :-)
      for my first crop attempt :heehee:

That is what I am here for to LEARN

Thanks

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 2
      • kernowdreamer

kernowdreamer Gardener

x staff nurse.
        Ratings:
        +26
        I'm growing my leeks in whisky barrels this season as an experiment and a need as I have a wonky knee which makes digging difficult .My seeds are sitting in wet kitchen towel in plastic bags trying their best to germinate. Its been almost a week and no signs of life but I know a further 2 weeks are in store.This is the first time I have used the baggie method on leeks but I'm not sure about the seed ,its at least 2 years old so I felt this was the way to go rather than wasting good compost,at least I can see which seed is viable and which is not.Course I may not have any luck with them,but as a my dad used to say "you never can tell".I don't do to well with root vegetables in this climate ,summers are really hot and humid, that and rampant veg eating bugs don't make life easy .Would it be an idea to add some green sand to the compost in the barrels,or is just compost and garden soil sufficient. My last leek growing adventure was a disaster.

• madmick

madmick Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +25
        Thats a good idea Kernow you get to eat fresh leeks & get pi$$ed at the same time works for me hic hic :lolpoint:

• Lottie

Lottie Apprentice Gardener

Business Owner/marketing and mentoring
        Ratings:
        +5
        OK, so I am just a little bit freaked out now :sofa:

I'm getting over a rotten cold and finally felt ready to put my seed packets in date order for sowing today - next I will get a tin to put them in and take them to my allotment and in a few days I should be well enough to start digging - so that's all good :)

But then - because I am too ill to do any real work, I thought I would have a read on here and see what I can learn and I see this:
        My seeds are sitting in wet kitchen towel in plastic bags trying their best to germinate. Its been almost a week and no signs of life but I know a further 2 weeks are in store.

WHAT?!?!?! Does this mean that I can't just put stuff in seed trays in the greenhouse and then transplant it when its big enough? PANIC!!!!! OMG! I don't think I will be able to cope with family, job, house, garden, allotment, charity work, social life and germinating in plastic bags!!! Am I going to be a failure?

I think my head is going to explode. Can someone please reassure me?