Leggy Strelitzia reginae seedlings - help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HsuH, Feb 26, 2014.

1. HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,257
    I sowed some seeds of strelitzia a little while ago and put them in the airing cupboard. Thinking they'd take a while to germinate, I only checked them after about 3 weeks, to my horror 3 of them had not only germinated but were at least 5 inches long:hate-shocked:.
    image.jpg

I potted them up, burying around 1.5-2" of their stems but they still have these long, leggy stems. Nearly 10 days have passed since I potted them, the one in the middle seems to be growing happily enough. However, looking at them everyday, I wonder:
    A) could I bury them even closer to their false leaves if I get some deep pots?
    B) if I leave them as they are, does it matter that they have such long stems?
    C) or, should I throw them away and start again?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Are you sure they are Strelitzia seedlings, look more like some kind of legume to me.
    Possibly Caesalpinia?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      Gotta agree with Pete there.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,257
        I took a few seeds from a package in the seed parcel and noted down the name as Bird of Paradise. 3 months later when I sowed the seeds I actually forgot what the picture on the package looked like and just assumed it was Strelitzia. Having just had a look at the remaining 4 seeds and compared them to the Google images, I think you are probably right. I'm glad that you put me on the right track otherwise I can imagine the confusion I'd have as the plants develop.:heehee:

So for now shall I leave them as they are? Any info and advice about how to grow them? Thanks:)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        I was thinking the common name was probably causing the confusion.

You need to give them full sun, and cool them down to about 15C, but dont go too low temperature wise, a dry atmosphere would also be good.
        I'd not repot again for the time being, they are very "drawn" but they should recover once the days get longer and warmth gets more natural.
        In a few years you might get this.
        August 13 018.jpg

As opposed to this,
        August 13 021.jpg

• Like Like x 3