Lemon Drop Chilli

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fat Controller, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,873
    I am growing some of these this year, and have put three of them into a trough style planter that has a water tank underneath that gets filled through a plastic tube and the plants then get their roots down into the water through a perforated lid above the tank; anyway, since planting them into this planter, they have gone absolutely Radio Rental - already, they are almost touching the top of the window (so about three ft tall), and have seemed quite leggy until recently - - even the leaves are huge in comparison with the hot chillies that I have growing in a similar container on another windowsill facing the same direction.

The leaves on the lemon drop seem to develop all scrunched up, and then unfurl from there, and more recently the plants are bushing up a bit, however flower buds are still pretty sparse (again, comparing with the hot ones in the other planter)

Is this normal?

Admittedly, the hot ones have also got a spurt on this year when compared with last year - whether that is due to be being a bit more diligent with watering and feeding or not I have no idea.

2. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    First year that I have grown these so cant say for sure but Im finding that the plants in the chilligrow (same sort of thing that you have, unlimited water & nutrient) are about 1/3 bigger than the normal stick-it-inna-bucket & feed when I remember ones:
    Lemon drop in chilligrow:
    [​IMG]
    --
    Lemondrop inna bucket (its the one under the pot of slug-away):
    [​IMG]
    --
    Bucket plant is just about to set some fruit (hopefully), chilligrow is just starting to flower.

Helps ?

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Nice looking Chillis there Nick , just to diverse a touch - does Slug-Away work ? I would like to try a pet/ child safe slug detterent.

4. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,873
    My monsters have now disappeared up behind the blind, and are touching the top of the window - I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

I think I might have twigged what has happened - when I first planted the three of them into the planter, I was lobbing chicken manure pellets about at stuff and threw a handful into one of the chilli troughs - I couldn't be bothered picking them all out, and figured they would do no harm...........

Given that the other chilli trough has the hot super chillies in it, and is looking pretty similar to those I had last year (albeit further on than they were), I reckon that the lemon drops must have been the ones that got the chicken poo; apparently it must be like steroids for plants?

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,168
  6. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Well I still find 1 or 2 slugs 'n' snails in the greenhouse, but mostly they see the pot there & decide to pop over the wall into next door... :-)

Sadly slug-away as pictured is actually of the blue-pellet-of-death variety, so not recommended for pets or small children (or large ones, come to that). I have tried the eco version in the past but found it not to be as effective so have gone back to the bad stuff - I just try to use as little as possible as things get established & only in the areas that I have the ultra-sonic-cat-aways installed. I do have some copper tape that I was going to try this year around some pots & completely forgot - so its going on the list of things to try next year.