Lemon tree curly leaves

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Sunshine2, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Meyer Lemon tree, which is flowering profusely at the moment. However all the large dark green leaves are curled inwards from tip to stalk so that the two ends are nearly touching! Why would this be?? Otherwise it seems ok. Thanx for any info.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +52,987
    Hello Sunshine2.

I also have a Meyer Lemon in memory of my sweet cat that died this year, because she was a sweet tart aged 11 months. I bought my tree in memory of her and here it is today ... fruits ripening and flowerbuds following ...

[​IMG]

I actually lost most of my leaves and I can't advise you on that .. I think I lost mine due to lack of water.

Good luck with yours.

PS. Forgot to say, I understand but don't really know that curly leaves could be due to lack of water.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89,162
    Wish I knew the reason why as well Sunshine 2.
    If its recently bought, in the last month or so, then its probably going through its settling down phase, which can last until it dies. :D

Sorry but they really are not the easiest of plants to grow on, once bought, leaf loss being the usual problem, for me anyway.

Most are imported and do not aclimatise well, I find.

4. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No mine is about two years old from when I bought it, at least. Could it be the cold at night(min. 12 degrees at the moment) as it is watered enough.Or could it be the leaves are just old.(one season)

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +52,987
    Hi, it's me again. My loss of leaves was due to due to lack of water as the irrigation system didn't really get it as we've now noticed, much to my horror.

Citrus trees needs massive water intake ... I live in the middle of orchards and it's a shame I can't get t'other half to get our irrigation system on a regular basis for our lime, ruby grapefuit and lemon trees (first two in the ground, latter a pot).

I'm really not a good person to advisee with my lack of progress. :D

6. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's me again (Sunshine2), my Lemon Trees leaves are actyually staying put, it's just that they are curling up badly. In the past it has lost some leaves which I think was then due to the cold at winter time.

7. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sunshine, when my Meyers lemon started leaf curling it was my introduction to vine weevil. The leaves would curl during the warmth of the day, and uncurl in the cool of the evening.
    If there are no signs of cobweb inside the curled leaves lift it from its pot and look for quantities of detached roots, and 1cm long fat maggots with a brown nose tip. Rinse the roots under a tap if necessary.
    You have been treating it with Provado spring and autumn haven't you?

Nik

8. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Nik, and sunshine,

PROVADO, i swear by it brilliant stuff :D

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +52,987
    Having taken the above picture of our Meyer Lemon days ago, we were a bit surprised to discover this problem with it yesterday evening ...

[​IMG]

Whatever ate the skin stopped at the flesh. These two were lying on the soil but I can't find any sort of critter around.

Any ideas?

10. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    To me it looks like an insect has been chewing his way in.
    I find hard to believe, though, which sort of insect find pleasurable to eat a bitter lemon peeling not even ripe.
    Wasps don't mind fruit, but I don't think that they go for lemons...

If i get some more info i will get back to you!

PS You say that these two lemons were lying on the ground. Did you only find the holes in these two or also on some more lemons on the tree.
    and why were they at the ground. Did the branch break?

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +52,987
    Hi, mira. If you look at the picture near the top of the page, you can see the tree. There are only three fruit on the tree, the two in question actually resting on the soil, the third one is unaffected. The leaves are still healthy today, so even more of a puzzlement. :confused:

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +89,162
    Snails perhaps LoL, afterall some people do use upturned citrus skins as a snail or slug trap.
    It looks like whatever it was had a few goes at getting started.

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +52,987
    You are probably right, pete. I have taken a few large ones off the Cannas this week. Didn't think to look in a pot with citrus when I went hunting. [​IMG]

I have never heard using upturned citrus skins as a snail or slug trap ... obviously works. :D

14. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I also think that snails could be a possibility, although i must say that I am quite surprised that they eat the outside of the lemon...

15. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go with snails too. I found one in the Tangerine tree/shrub/small bush doing exactly that to one of the fruit.

Have you had a look at the roots yet? It is during the winter that the vine weevil grubs will feed on the roots. Sorry to nag.

Nik :cool: