Lemons and roses

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by 2nd_bassoon, Nov 13, 2017.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Birthday season in our house and my parents have gifted us both with plants - a lemon tree for Mr Bassoon and a rose ("Warm Welcome") for me. Both lovely, but I have questions!

Does anyone have experience of growing/caring for a lemon tree? We don't have a greenhouse so it's currently sitting in the bay window in the living room, which gets reasonable light but I'm worried might be too warm all winter long. At the moment it's more of a bush than a tree, is there any particular pruning I should be doing to help it grow into a more tree-like shape?

Regarding the rose, I believe it is a minature climber. I know roses in general don't like pots but do the minatures fare better? I don't have anywhere obvious to plant a climber in the garden at present, and as we rent I would like the option to take it with me one day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Hi 2B, if the pot is fairly big then the answer is yes. Feed it with Tomato Feed say once every 3 weeks when it starts growth next year and it should be fine. You could get special rose feed but, to be honest, a dose of Miracle Grow, every now and then, will do just to keep it happy.

Warm Welcome

[​IMG]

A small patio climbing rose. Clusters of slightly fragrant semi-double blooms, orange-red in colour are produced repeatedly throughout the summer into the autumn. Foliage is small, red when young maturing to dark green and semi-glossy. Ideal for growing in a large pot up a trellis. Easy to train with flexible shoots. Ideal gift for someone in their new home. Hardy. Good disease resistance. Grows to 250cm in height.

So Lemon and roses were the theme.........reminds me of the rose "Orange and Lemon"
      upload_2017-11-13_20-59-57.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 2
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Sorry, no advice, but ...

... sending you both :bdbanner: wishes :happydan:

:bdcake:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +13,960
          I grow citrus trees in pots :) You're spot on about them preferring cool conditions in winter. Frost-free, yes, and as much light as possible. Very little water and ALWAYS raise the pot up out of it's saucer so the tree isn't sitting with wet roots. Would a blowaway plastic greenhouse be feasible? I keep my trees in one of those tucked under the overhanging roof and they do much better than when I used to swathe them individually in fleece, not to mention the hassle of unwrapping them too soon in Spring and having to wrap them up again in a hurry 'cos of false starts :wallbanging: For pruning, if you want a standard tree, you need to select the strongest, straightest stem and ruthlessly chop all the others out. Tie-in the remaining one to a cane to keep it straight and once it's at the height you want it, pinch out the tip. You'll need to rub out all the little shoots that regularly appear. Patience required:)

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
            Ratings:
            +1,840
            Thanks all. The local garden centre has a Christmas market this weekend so I'll combine that with some pot shopping :)

That's good to know @noisette47 , most places online suggest conservatories or greenhouses, neither of which I can provide! This year it might just be small enough to fit in the coldframe, will do some measuring tomorrow... How quick/slow do they grow?

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +13,960
              They tend to just tick over in the winter if kept on the dry side. When the weather warms up and you start watering and feeding regularly, they get going. Depends on the variety, but it'll take at least a couple of years to form a standard, more if you want a tall one.

• Like Like x 1
              • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                +7,559
                I bought a lemon tree last March and it has flowered and made fruit non stop. I kept it in the garden until September and then decided to give it a go indoors. It did suffer a bit of a shock, but misting it every morning has helped a lot. It's again full of buds :wub2:

Citrus trees enjoy a big pot. Next spring when its repotting time I will add in some coffee grounds (free from our lovely coffee cart guy at work).

The flowers have wonderful scent and the fruit are very cute sliced in tea or garnishing fish dishes. A brilliant plant, hopefully it will get used to indoors life and live a long and happy life :)

Lemontree.JPG

Sorry for the bad picture, the lemon tree is at front. The monster in the corner is avocado grown from seeds.

• Like Like x 1
                • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,830
                  Coffee grounds? Please explain.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +7,559
                  Well, there are two firm schools for and against using coffee grounds as soil improvement agent. Apparently some plants love it thanks to the nutrients (Nitrogen compounds) and slightly acidic effect, and some hate it. I have tried previously in the garden but didn't see any notable difference.

However, I take my Grandmothers advise that coffee grounds are especially beneficial for Aspidistra and Abutilon but palm trees should only ever get tea dregs :biggrin:

Google thinks that Citrus are coffee lovers so I'm definitely giving it a try. Here are some links I found: Coffee Grounds & Gardening: Using Coffee Grounds As Fertilizer

Gardens: so you think coffee grounds are good for plants

So, it might just be a myth but I'm all for experimenting a bit. [​IMG]

And should it happen that the fruit develop a slight coffee flavour, all the better. Sounds like a potentially great combination to me :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1