Lettuce I.D. required

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Scrungee, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Somethingly slighty different from 'what's this unknown plant in my garden' - what is this variety of lettuce that Morrisons sell, as I'd like to source some seed & grow them myself:

[​IMG]

2. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Well that makes a change! I expect you've looked at Google Images - they show pictures but don't necessarily tell you what they are. I've seen this lettuce before (probably in the supermarket) but don't know what variety it is. You need a veggy person.................

3. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I suspect it's actually an Endive rather than a lettuce, but was hoping somebody would recognise it from a seed catalogue/packet.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    It could be Curly Endive.

• Like Like x 1
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      It`s a scarola I think in English is called escarole or prickle lattuce , It can be used row or fried , is cold tollerant , in Italy we usually grow it from september up to Christmas .
      there are lots of variety , also need to be tied to get the white gems inside ....I think it`s used a lot in the already mix florette salad .
      grow very well in UK , as I get lots of them in September from my Italian friend , it last more then 2 weeks in the fridge , plus can be boiled and frozen for late use.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Yes, but I haven't seen anybody growing anything as good, and the best pic I could find was this one, which isn't half as leafy. So would these be a standard variety of Curly Endive grown using some commercial techniques to enhance them, or a perhaps a special F1 variety available only to commercial growers?

[​IMG]

• JWK

Ratings:
      +48,983
      I've been going round in circles the last couple of years trying to grow a nice endive that Mrs JWK finds in a certain Italian restaurant, she loves it but I've found it very difficult to identify and find seeds for. This spring I've got a new one to try: Endive Fine Maraichere which is more like your second photo (post #6).

PS: I think Sal might be closer than me with escarole, after a quick google.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      this is the Italian escarole used in restorant and it`s actually called escarole , but is the same taste as the endive , different leaves.
      [​IMG]

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      The 'Fine Maraichere' appears to be the closest, so I now need to decide whether to buy 50 seeds for 69p from Nickys Nursery, or 1,200 seeds for 99p from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Salad-Endive-Fine-Maraichere-1200-Seeds-/320768735395 (+ they sell lettuce leaf basil).

I wonder if there are techniques involved in growing these, like time left growing 'open' before binding up.

• Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +679
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +48,983
      Scrungee I will send you some of my Maraichere seeds if you like. Just PM my your address and I'll pop some in the post, I got mine fromNicky's nursery (wish I'd spotted them on ebay though :doh:)

• Like Like x 1