1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leveling dip in the lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by slimzee, Mar 13, 2012.

1. slimzee

slimzee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a small area on my lawn where it dips down so it is not level with the rest of the lawn, I want to get it level this year but need some advise.

What I have read so far I need to mix compost + soil and put some down but not enough so it makes it level 1 go but a little bit when wait till the grass is growing through then top it up again and add some extra grass seeds along the way.

What type of sand do I need to use and where can i buy it from? Wickes? If I have 15 litre compost bag how much sand do I mix with this?

Before I start the leveling process should I cut down the lawn to a minimum height, scarify the affected area really hard then begin?

So far I have given the lawn a high cut and scarify it with a rake and gave it some weed treatment, I plan to aeriate the lawn with a fork this whole week.

Any advise is appreciated.

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    If it's only a small area is it feasible to cut and fold back the grass and fill from below.:scratch:
    I did that at the corner of my lawn - folded back about 4' sq. to build up the level.

• Like Like x 2
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I would cut an H-shape in the lawn, with a spade, centred on the dip. Peel back the two sections above/below the horizontal bar of the "H" with 1"-2" of soil attached to the turf, add soil underneath, roll the turf back, firm it down, water twice a week until it has re-established itself.

Top-dressing to fill in hollows only really works for a lawn that is almost level to start with.

• Like Like x 2
      • Anthorn

Anthorn Gardener

Ratings:
        +9
        The soil/sand mixture you mention is already mixed in "Top Dressing" available from most larger garden centres. If it's only a shallow dip then top dressing is your best bet. If you cut the turf and fill from below it's still advisable to add top dressing.

• Lizzie Rose

Lizzie Rose Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        Totally going to do this H shape! I was about to post asking for advice then saw this, so thank you! Although the dip I need to raise is probably 1m+ circular :doh: