Levelling a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Paul L., Aug 30, 2023.

1. Paul L.

Paul L. Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I laid a new lawn with turf last summer which has taken really well. This summer I planned to level out all the dips and bumps which have formed as the ground underneath has settled. Having watched a few videos online and read a fair bit, I scattered top soil in the dips, compressed it down and then raked over with a a lawn levelling rake. I then also over-seeded for good measure!

I did all this before a two-week holiday, expecting to return to seethe grass having grown back through the topsoil patches. To my dismay, it hasn't yet - and now my lawn just has big patches of topsoil and looks a bit of a mess. Am I just not being patient enough? Will the grass underneath grow back through eventually? Should I have mixed some sand in with the topsoil? Most videos I watched said not to bother.

First-time poster. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +47,765
      Hello and welcome to the forum.
      You probably didn't prepare the ground before you layed the turf or sowed seed.
      It could take longer than 2 weeks for it to come up.
      With turf

With seed

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,059
      I find grass will grow through if you only have a slight depression any thing more than an inch and it might struggle.
      It's best done when the grass is growing strongly, spring mostly.

You need to keep it damp.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1