leylandi?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by grimme, Feb 12, 2006.

1. grimme

grimme Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,next door has some leylandi along our fence, they're roots are growing under my lawn ( which i consider tresspass) and stealing most of the nutrients (which i consider theft) that are needed to keep a good lawn on very sandy soil. does anyone have any ideas for bringing law and order to reign in this lawless situation? poss growth retardants to slow offending roots down, or killers to disuade them from their lawless ways whilst not poisoning the ground where my fuchsia's will hopefully grow, but then, unless i do something, my fuchsia's be undernourished anyway, if you follow my reasoning??

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Short of persuading your neighbours to grow something else as a screen, or contribute to your increased watering/feeding there ain't a lot of you can do - except learn to live with it. You can remove anything that crosses the boundary as long as it is returned to your neighbour, but not to kill their plants.

I empathise, my neighbours have also planted a conifer screen against the fence that looks like leylandi - but as it will not affect my light -, I ain't going to let it worry me - life's too short. My plants including fuchsias are all doing fine - and if it takes a tad more water and the occasional feed - fine.

[ 12. February 2006, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    How friendly are you with your neighbours and have you tried talking to them?

Leylandii are fairly easily killed, 1" dia wood boring bit, 2" or so deep, drilled down at an angel, at or slightly below ground level, fill with ammonium sulphamate (a stump killer sold as Amcide or Root Out) then put a wood bung, bark plug or cork in) Drill more than one hole if you feel these trees are particularly loathsome. Hide the evidence. You will still have the root problem left and your neighbour will have dead trees that could do a lot of damage in gale which may or may not be a problem depending on the prevailing wind.

If only there were a specific bug that attacked Leylandii such as that which has decimated our beautifull native Elm trees. We would then soon be free of this awful hybridised frankenstien monster which has no place in our green and pleasant land (insert :wistfull: emoticon!)

In case you were wondering, I personally detest these potential 100 ft high weeds that should be proscribed as an invasive species and banned from cultivation.

Disclaimer, none of the above should be taken as a recommendation for direct action while your neighbour is away on holiday. Always read the label and in cases of emergency plead temporary insanity and consult a good solicitor.

4. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i think neighbour is going to be suspicious if all trees die in one go, it mite look more like a random die back situation if eg you chopped the roots off on your side, i dont think you need worry about returning roots to neighbour as your quite entitled to dig on your own ground.
    i am just now working in a garden where the neighbours have erected an 8 foot high fence and have refused to talk to the elderly couple who own the house because they objected to a planning application to double the size of their bungalow [up and out].. and only 10 feet from their kitchen and back door
    it is upsetting the couple and is totally ignorant behaviour on part of the neighbours, if any lleylandii appear on the other side of the fence, you can bet your boots i ll be buying some amicide myself!

[ 13. February 2006, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: The Lady Gardener ]

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Grimme and welcome.

They really are a nuisance. I agree with Frogesque .... If only there were a specific bug.

But as Fran says there is not a lot you can do. It is not worth falling out with the neighbours over it. I do feel it is essential to be on good terms with neighbours, otherwise it tends to destroy the peace and calm you get from your garden.

One of the first things I learnt when I started gardening, is not to fight nature, but to bend with it. I have a very dry spot under a tree in one part of the garden, so I try to grow plants suited to dry soil there. And in another place it is really boggy and wet at times, so I am growing really boggy and wet plants there.

Is it worth trying to adjust your planting or usage to the difficult conditions?

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have just seen The Lady Gardiners post. Whilst it is tempting to have a go, I suspect that it may not be very effective. If they are insensitive people they are likely to just replace any dead trees, without giving it much consideration.

Perhaps better to get to know them and drop the odd hint about the cost and work involved in maintaining trees that as Frogescue says can potentially grow to over 100 feet.

Then perhaps suggest a fence and offer to show them how to grow Clematis of some other such climber up them. You might even have to offer to pay part or help them do it!