1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leylandii tips going brown after trim

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Voobwm, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Voobwm

Voobwm Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I was wondering if someone with Leylandii experience can help me...

I've just purchased a house with a long (30m maybe) Leylandii hedge. It needed a good trim, it was extending over the pavement quite a bit. I read online not to cut back to the brown as it won't grow back. So I cut it back quite a bit, leaving green, but probably only a few cm. Length varies. After a few days on close inspection the tips are all going brown all along the length. I'm very worried I've damaged it or its dying. See attached image.

Does anyone know if it's OK or have I trimmed it too much and now it's dying or something?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    Welcome to GC. :dbgrtmb:

You obviously haven't cut back to the brown parts so it should be OK. It looks more like damage done by a blunt hedge cutter. It'll recover.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
      Ratings:
      +857
      When we cut leylandii back to far we cut into the part that has sap. When the sun comes out it burns the sap and that's why it turns brown. It usually recovers after time. I wouldn't worry about it no long term or severe damage is done. Your ones have minimal burn.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      It's leylandii. I'd have cut it back a bit more. Like, to ground level:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
        Ratings:
        +268
        My experience with the them is unless you cut back (width) from an early age so that you can keep them green and `slim` then they end up a major problem.
        Mines got too wide but managed to trim back just short off the brown wood and they always recovered but looked awful for a while.
        Thankfully none in my current garden.