Leylandii tree stump removal

Discussion in 'Trees' started by czeshirecat, Oct 27, 2011.

1. czeshirecat

czeshirecat Apprentice Gardener

Software Developer
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 3 years ago I had several Leylandii trees (20+ft high, 30+cm trunks) cut down to ground level. The man cut cross marks into the top surface. Since then the bark's rotted, but the trunks still seem solid.
    That section of the garden's since become host to some very happy brambles and other weeds, that are glad there's no big dark trees blocking the light any more, and I've been shamed into doing something to clear it up.
    How do I get them to rot down please? I'm not a gardener and experienced enough just to keep the lawn cut.
    I don't think I can afford to bring someone in with a digger. I've read in some places that drilling's necessary. But how far in do you drill, what diameter drill bit and do you put something in the holes? I've no idea how deep a tree trunk/root goes into the soil.
    Would these trees have harmed my house footings? Some of them were probably only about 10ft away from a gable end wall and they were spaced 4ft apart.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    You shouldn't need to worry about damage to the house but getting rid of the stumps can be tough. They will take years to rot so the only practical way is to get them out.

I'm assuming when you say 30 cm that you mean diameter. As the've been cut to ground it will be pretty awkward to get them out without machinery. Apart from hand digging, which is not going to be easy, the usual way is to either hire a mini digger or get someone in with a stump grinder. Neither are cheap but I usually get them stump ground.

Of course, if you have a load of hefty friends that are willing to come round to give you a hand digging them out then you can arrange a stump digging party. BBQ and booze after the digging and definitely no booze during the digging.

In the Caribbean this was the standard way of getting heavy work done. They used to have chattel house (Chattel house - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) moving parties but it was important not to bring the booze out until the job was finished :heehee: