leylandii trees chooped to death

Discussion in 'Trees' started by elizabess, May 2, 2005.

1. elizabess

elizabess Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello to any one who can advise me i have a 100 ft garden with 6 leylandii trees at the bottom left hand side which i had trimmed back and the tops taken off to about 10ft tall last month the sun comes from the back of the trees so i get the shade. This morning i got up to my neibours trimming them back from their side fair enough that is there right if my trees hang over, but because they took so much off they were left with bare branches sticking out they then decided to reach even further over ( my trees are in about a ft from their fence)and chop the lot off to the tree trunk i was very annoyed as it has left them in a sorry state and i told them not to chop anymore which they then said we hate them and they are going to cut the tops off as well to 5ft as that is their right and the law says so please advice me are they allowed to come over to my side. it is only so they dont have to trim them any more they say, i have lived here for 13 yrs and never had trouble with them beforeand the trees do not block light from them

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Elizabess
    Click on the link below for some useful info (particularly point 3) http://www.hinckleyandbosworthonline.org.uk/pp/gold/viewGold.asp?IDType=Page&ID=5640
    The Leylandii Hedge law has not been passed yet, and there is a formula to do with height of hedge & distance from property (which usually works out much higher than 5 foot unless your hedge is next to their house wall). They only have the right to trim off overhanging branches, and shouldn't endanger the health of your hedge plants, good practice is for neighbours to let each other know before they start cutting! No, Elizabess, they don't have the right to come into your garden & start chopping. If they become abusive, or difficult, I suggest getting some legal advice/ & or getting in touch with your local council for advice. Try not to get into any arguements, as this makes things more difficult to resolve & Good luck!

3. elizabess

elizabess Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply bayleaf, the distance from my trees to their house is about 80ft as i said the trees are no bother apart from the fact they decided they dont like them but thanks for your help i will look on the link you gave me

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Leylandii can stir up some strong emotions - not only because of their potential height and solid colour all year round but also because of their thirst. I would strongly suggest that you chat to your neighbours about what they dislike about them to see if you can get a healthy compromise - if necassaary with the help of the council. Falling out with your neighbours does not make for comfortable living - bin there, done that, got the t-shirt