lightweight handheld vacuum

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by adamadamant, Jul 11, 2024.

1. adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi I generally borrow a leaf blower/vacuum from a friend in the autumn and get good mulched leaves from it. but I would like a little handheld vacuum for the awkward spots in the greenhouse where a brush wont reach, and those irritating corners where leaves gather on the patio - I can never control a leaf blower well enough to get them all into one place. I am thinking of something like a car vacuum which will pick up a few leaves when necessary. Any suggestions please?

2. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,535
    How about one of these ?
    51JbfofmMZL.jpg

3. amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +897
    Presumably those corner spots mentioned is somewhere a litter picker would be too unwieldy for.

4. adamadamant

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you but yes, in the greenhouse and corners t is more tipped soil and debris/leaves than something I can pick up with one of those. I am grateful for the suggestion however

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,938
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,438
      I might be misunderstanding this but, can you not just use a brush and shovel to lift them, especially as it's in corners? Would that not be easier?
      A spade is no use, but I use my snow shovel for that sort of thing as it's broad, lightweight, but also flatter than a standard shovel too. :smile:

• adamadamant

Ratings:
      +5
      Perhaps its a badly designed greenhouse but there are places I need to blow debris off, cant get a brush in there. I could drag out the vacuum cleaner from the house but it's a long haul. I was just looking for something I can keep to hand that would help but I think what I want doesnt really exist. Not to worry and thanks all for the suggestions.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,908
      I bought a load of Dyson cordless handhelds from ebay to do up a few years ago, the older models are perfect for the corners of my shed so would also do for dry corners in the greenhouse. They can be picked up very cheaply. go for one that says battery doesn't last. If you don't use it on turbo mode they last plenty long enough

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +8,039
      @adamadamant , even though I can't recommend anything specific, I recognise the need.

I bought a cheapy "dust hoover" for indoors use as we have small pets who manage to spread broken bits of hay and even droppings into every possible nook and cranny of the house, in spite of being confined to their cage and playpen :noidea:

The gadget is very well worth the money, works a treat to remove cobwebs from hard to reach places, compost and fallen leaves from the windowsills and below, quick tidy on sofa and so on.

Mine is something like this, certainly not strong enough for gardening tasks but the idea is the same.

upload_2024-7-12_18-26-43.png

Please do let us know if you find a good one to cope with greenhouse/ small gardening tasks.

• adamadamant

Ratings:
      +5
      I will do. Thank you so much for taking the time

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,438
      If you have a wee dustpan and brush, could you try that first, before forking out for something @adamadamant ? The brush would get into tight corners. I use mine in the kitchen all the time, but I expect it depends on exactly what the little areas you have are like :smile:

I don't like spending money if I don't have to though ! :biggrin: