Solved Lilium stargazer

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Capture1, Jun 25, 2024.

1. Capture1

Capture1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering if anyone knows of a plant called Joop Lilly? it looks similar to a lilium stargazer i was wondering if it is the same plant? Hope you can help.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,551
    Don't know for sure, but Joop is a registered name of a lily bulb from Van den Bos (Joop®) it does look as if it has that upward looking flower that the Stargazer hybrids do, but it's probably not the same hybrid. Stargazer lilies seem to have originated in California about 50 years ago.

3. Capture1

Capture1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply would you by any chance know where I could purchase a Joop Lilly?

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,551
    You will have more chance of buying as cut flowers in a florists; than as a bulb. From reading the website Global leader in the export of lily bulbs, freesia and calla corms since 1946 it seems that they are bred for growers supplying large numbers of cut flowers to the florist business. Van den Bos seem to be a producer/wholesaler of specially bred bulbs for cut flowers.
    Why do you particularly want that variety of lily?
    If you can find a colour you like, in the range, then a Stargazer variety might be the best way to go. You will have to wait until next summer to get flowers buying the bulbs when back in stock and planting spring time.
    There are a number of good bulb nurseries in the UK, also garden centres, supermarkets sell lily bulbs, just keep your eyes open and follow the instructions.
    There a lot of different lily hybrids and species out there, it's not just Stargazer hybrids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,344
      I searching Joop Lily bulb Netherlands.
      Seems to be a bulb sold for growers to grow as cut flowers.
      Probably because it has strong stems and lots of upward facing flowers per stem.

You can buy them from this co......provided you order 1,000 euros worth at a time!

Quote....."The minimum quantity is one box per variety (min. order quantity: 40 boxes min. order amount 1000,- EUR)."

https://www.vws-flowerbulbs.nl/flower-bulb/1915/joop

Agree with Nigel..try Stargazer.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
      • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,685
        I tried growing Stargazer lilies and didn't like them. They reminded me of clergymen wearing too tight dog collars, keeping their heads forced backwards and upwards to breathe! The bulbs didn't last as long as the droopy traditional lilies, failing to flower after a second year. I didn't like the colours either so that was it with them as far as I was concerned.
        I much prefer the droopy lilium longiflorum etc., much more elegant, graceful and perfumed.
        Each to his own!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Capture1

Capture1 Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          thank you for all the info, i was hoping to grow the Joop Lilly in my garden as I recently lost my dog of 15 years who’s name is Joop. it may sound silly but thought it would be a good way to honour him, again thanks for all the info really appreciate it