loadsa new posts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Axie-Ali, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    not sure about your browsing habits, but personally, I go straight for the 'new posts' tab! and I usually check in 2 or 3 times a day and today is no different.

BUT, for the first time, it has gone onto 4 pages!!!! don't know if it an influx of new members or a seasonal/growing thing....but either way, its good to see loads of new posts :gnthb::D

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

It took me a while to get used to the fact that that with this board, once you'd clicked on a new post, if you clicked away and came back again to "New posts" it will have disappeared. You have to use the drop down facility of "Quick Links" and click on "Today's posts" to find it again.

I tend to look through the "New posts" list and after looking at any that interest me, I click on "Forums read." So when I return only posts made since then appear as "New posts."

3. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    once you click on it, whether you comment or not, it is no longer a 'new post'!
    I just love to see that we have so many at the moment :)

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Doghouse, your comment on quick_links/today's-posts was very useful. I too sometimes look at New-Posts, but as you say if you don't look at all you want to, they will have gone by the next time.

And yes Axie - its lovely to see so much activity.

Edit: Just seen that quick_links with a dash looks like this quick-links

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    My first reaction on reading this thread was to post up with a smartxss comment about alien speak. However, I'd like to thank you guys for showing me different aspects of the site.:)

6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Yes, that's how this particular board works, on some others, posts stay as "new" unless you log off and come back again. Other boards may have different systems too.

I'm just glad new people seem to be joining at a faster rate than a few months ago. New people coming to boards help keep them going, some often only survive because the same people do all the work.

It's having a common interest which sustains comments, like another board to which I belong which at midnight I see has currently 897 of its 34,000 members actually on line.

Then, saxophone players have always been a weird lot.