Lobelia speciosa seed collection

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by martyn bromley, Sep 16, 2017.

1. martyn bromley

martyn bromley Keen amateur gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +54
    image.jpeg
    I am trying to locate the seeds on two of my lobelia speciosa and having a problem identifying where they are. I may also be trying to harvest them to soon.
    Can anyone advise please .
    Are the seeds in location (1) or (2) above?. Any other advice on propogation of the seeds ( when I find them!) will be much appreciated.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
      Ratings:
      +6,133
      @martyn bromley Two lovely plants, i have Lobelia Cardinalis "Red Vulcan" :)
      what i do is pop the seed heads into a paper bag then place in a warm spot to dry out thoroughly the seeds will then fall out naturally - Also when the weather is very wet and its unlikely that the seeds will dry in time for collection if i have a plant in a Pot to collect seeds from i put the Pot and plant undercover in my greenhouse and place a paper bag over the seed heads to fall naturally into the paper bag as the seed is usually very small like dust, so don't for goodness sake sneeze :heehee:- It is always more successful in terms of germination to allow the plant seed heads to dry on the plant in my experience, and i would suggest to sow in spring early with some under heat or later when the weathers warmer. Although Lobelia may be raised by collected seed, remember that cultivars are unlikely to come true. Propagation to achieve the same species is generally by dividing in spring or by taking basal cuttings late summer- hope that helps :)

I am a self-confessed seedaholic :rolleyespink: and will try to grow anything from anything so good luck and happy gardening :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
      • martyn bromley

martyn bromley Keen amateur gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +54
        Hi BeeHappy.( love your name !)
        Thanks for your advice -will try that.
        Regards
        Martyn

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          @martyn bromley
          Yourewelcomebee.jpg
          and thank you for your kind comments :spinning: Look forward to your updates:fingers crossed: -
          Buzzz ZZZ Wishes from ME animated-bee-image-0189.gif