1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lobelia Valida 'Delft Blue'....."I love it when....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bilbo675, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    ..........a plan comes together"

I bought one of these earlier this year from a car boot sale and love it; it is a tender perennial, it's scent is so strong and sweet and the blue flowers are very bright, I have managed to collect 1000's of its tiny seed which I will be sowing some of in the spring, but before that I fancied having a go at some cuttings before it started dying back, so I took 5 and popped them in a pot of free draining compost about 5-6 weeks ago......, I wasn't too optimistic as they have a lot of white sap in them, but they didn't rot and I checked them yesterday and guess what little white roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.....:yess: :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      I have the seeds for that one too - glad to hear a ringing endorsement of it!

Do you grow other Lobelia too? This was my new addition last year - Lobelia laxiflora........
      DSC_0709.jpg

This also gave up a few seeds, which germinated readily.

I'm happy to pass seed on next year if I get more (and you remind me).

• Like Like x 1
      • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,318
        Thats a lovely one Bilbo must say I've never tried them from cuttings, well done:D
        Have you tried Lobelia Tupa? got to be my favourite, quite hardy in a sheltered spot mine survived for 3 years with a good mulch but last year was just too much for them, had got to nearly 6ft too:cry3:, thank goodness I collected seed I now have lots of good size plants in 1 and 2 litre pots ready for planting out next spring.
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
        • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089

Call me cheeky, especially as I only joined less than 24hrs ago, but I would be happy to swap a L.laxiflora for one of those!
          I have spare L.tupa, and hopefully L.excelsa and L.polyphylla if all goes well.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          No problem longk, I'll see how many I get going next spring, there weren't many seed in the packet as apparently its on the rare side, so we'll see how we go, fingers crossed :D

I've also just found more Lobelia 'Delft blue' seed in the fridge; I must have collected more than I thought :D :thumb:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          No probs - the two that I'm waiting on are a little hit and miss too.

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,318
          Thanks Bilbo it is a beauty, had lots of friends asking what it was last year, Bridgesii has been on my wish list for a while after seeing the seed on Plantworld, why do they have so many great seeds:love30:,love to see that one in flower, don't forget the pictures:WINK1:.