Loganberry - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fat Controller, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,887
    Some of you may recall that I planted a loganberry year before last, so last year was its first full year in the garden and as such it produced only a few fruit but put on a lot of growth. As my garden year was pretty much knackered by May last year, I basically let everything get on with it all by itself; today, after pruning my raspberries, I decided that the loganberry would need a look too, and it has become a bit of a monster.

It has multiple whips, all in bud, and there are a lot more than just the one plant now. The video below hopefully shows the extent.

I have already pruned out last years old, dead wood (mother nature was very kind and made it really clear that it was dead wood by the lack of buds), and I am assuming that like raspberries, the loganberry is going to fruit on these second year 'whips' - question is, what should I be doing to get the best yield? Should I be nipping any of these whips back (I was very reluctant to do so given the amount of buds along their lengths), or should I just be trying to tie them up somehow (most likely a zig-zag fashion up a few canes)?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,953
    I would tie in the "whips" to a framework and cut off any dead tips.
    Mine grows "whips" about 12ft long, I tie these in in autumn at the same time as I remove the fruited wood. I also remove all but 3 or 4 of the new "whips".
    I would also consider removing the extra plants as you will quickly end up with a thicket.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +48,887
      Thanks @NigelJ - some of mine are also around 12ft long. I have three that rooted/suckered a good seven or eight feet away from the original plant, so I cut them off from the main plant in the hope that they will form a second clump. Whilst I don't want a thicket of them, more than I have at the moment would be welcome, as long as they are producing.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,177
      Once they get going they're prolific! You could plant a couple of the spare rooted plants in the wild nearby so you always have a backup...

I have mine (tayberry but close enough) tied into horizontal wires down the side of the house

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        For my Loganberries I have four 6.5m/20 foot long structures 1.8m/6 foot high with horizontal wires support Rylock wire mesh fencing, 2 Loganberries to each structure.

If I'm organised the fruiting canes get pruned out shortly after the last berry has been harvested. New canes that have previously been temporarily tied back to the structures are then carefully threaded through/tied to the wire mesh.

Those structures give me enough space to keep every cane, but I tend to remove any thin, weedy ones. The longest ones might be trained horizontally in one direction, then up, then back horizontally again until they're all evenly spread.

Occasionally, I'll bury the tip of a cane to form a new plant, sometimes this happens unintentionally, but I always like to have a spare or 2 in case of failure or as give aways.

Eight Loganberries extending over 26m/80 feet may seem like a lot of plants to many, but they're a favourite of my wife and daughter (& Dog!), I'm in competition for fruit to steam extract the juice for winemaking, and the local jam makers are always interested in any excess.

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        I didn't realise they grew that big! Is there a significant difference in tayberries and logan berries, growng and taste wise? Have seen them in shops as plants but never in a punnet to try.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +48,887
        I can't say that I have tasted a Tayberry, so can't really answer - they are a bit like a big raspberry that isn't just as sharp tasting really; They certainly are vigorous, which I welcome, as I will use them for anything from jam making to wine making, and Mrs C will no doubt use them in her cakey creations. The more the merrier really.

• Like Like x 1
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,177
          I very much doubt I could tell the difference in a blind taste test. Makes good jam!

• Like Like x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            I have both (bought in 2015) I would offer to send you some tasters, but I'm not convinced they would travel too well :heehee:

Loganberry: dates back to the 19thC; thornless; can be eaten raw or cooked; more acidic flavour than a Tayberry (but still lovely picked from the shrub under hot summer sunshine so it is warm and scrummy). Quite prolific but the stems bear fruits at various stages/ages so harvesting is an ongoing, hit and miss affair. Saying that though, the yield is good.
            Tayberry: youngster circa 1970's; thorns; strong, tart flavour but less acidic than the Loganberry. The berry is a longer shape.

The Loganberry is described as a cross between a blackberry and a raspberry :blue thumb:
            The Tayberry is described as a cross between the raspberry and a blackberry! :dbgrtmb: :heehee:

If memory serves me correctly, Tayberries fruit first.

Seriously, I love them both and both have a place in my garden (in tubs!). The only issue I have is ... it is me vs ... the birds! :th scifD36: :heehee: The plus side? My hens get the ones the birds leave and I don't wish to harvest :doh:

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
              Ratings:
              +6,224
              Hmm, suppose I'll have to try both out then ;) Thanks :dbgrtmb:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +48,887
              @Linz - I would recommend Ashridge Trees for them, that is who I got mine from.

• Useful Useful x 1
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                I got mine (reduced) from The Range and I think the Loganberry was from Homebase :redface: My thoughts being: no idea what they are like so I'll go bargain bucket :heehee:

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                  Ratings:
                  +6,224
                  Hmm I seen them in Wilkos the other day I think it was £2 a bush.. was just going to opt for that. I'll have a lil gander at Ashridge's website in a bit :thumbsup: I looked at the trees last time I was on there not soft fruit (was tempted to get a peach :rolleyespink: )

Edit Oops ..wasn't that website it was orange pippin trees

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    :heehee: Bless ya :cmonhug:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                      Ratings:
                      +20,953
                      Go for the thornless form, LY654 if I remember right. The thorned variety is a pain literally. We had one when I was a child and the thorns are sharp, numerous and brittle.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Useful Useful x 1