1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

London Attack

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Jun 4, 2017.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,388
    Naturally. :thumbsup:

And if you're coming for lunch you can have some afters too. :whistle: :heehee: :loll:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,435
      I like afters :loll:& I quite like starters too! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:;)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,388
        :lunapic 130165696578242 5: :lunapic 130165696578242 5: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

I'm not sure I have the stamina nowadays :old: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          In the main, they do! It is in the subtle nuances where misunderstandings may potentially lie.
          I think there is a compromise to be had - on both sides. That is the *only* way forward.

Absolutely they should have an understanding, and a respect for, the way *we* (whoever that *we* includes) carry on, but it would be absolutely ignorant and patronising on the part of the *we* to think they could give up the very thing which makes them who they are: their core beliefs! They do not ask us to do that on their behalf, so why should we ask it of them? :dunno: Yet, they still find ways to make their way in the *we* world of the UK while still staying true to their core beliefs. It's called compromise ;)

Many, many moons ago, I was having a discussion - ok, a religious discussion - where the question arose: which "laws" do you follow first and foremost? That of "religion", or, those of the state? I thought then, and still do now, it is a very interesting question!

Ultimately, *we* cannot dismiss, nor disregard, the very foundations of who they are by casting the emphasis back upon them by stating: they should be expected to understand us. That is a cop out ;)

The fact is, when racial tensions arise, it is more than likely because the *we's* in this world think it is an unwritten rule that anyone coming to the UK should cow-tow to the ... UK standards! Why on earth would they!!!??? Have you seen the state of the indigenous population? In comparison to the core values, religious beliefs of some of our diverse population, we're would appear to be a weak-willed, lily livered, work-shy bunch with no faith to answer to which gives the impression of being a country of little or no basic moral values!! Why would they lower their moral standards to appease us!? :dunno:

Fundamentally, if you treat people with respect - which may include respecting *their* way of doing things - you cannot lose. If, on the other hand, you expect someone of a different culture to cow-tow to your ways, without taking the time to at least be open to their ways ... then you generate confusion, misunderstanding, disrespect and tension. That bit is not rocket science: it goes back to the humble beginnings @CanadianLori spoke of: greet everyone with a smile and a hello. Spread light, not heat! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,725
            Ok, get the drift "M", as one of indigenous , "lilly livered workshy bunch with no faith", I can't be expected to respond, but I do take exception to that statement.

They dont understand us, in the main, or they wouldn't all live in ghettos, there are some Muslim women out there that will never ever learn English however long they live here, we get so called "honor killings", what the hell, it's something that doesn't happen here.
            Acid attacks.

I could go on, but I don't think it would be appropriate to mention some of the ways these people have brought to this country.

So dont start telling me that we expect these people to "cow-tow"to our ways, it is mostly the opposite, we just let them get on with it, hoping not to upset the racial apple cart.

I know there are some and some, and I take people on a personal basis as I find them, but I really do not like what has been happening in the last 20yrs or so.

The country has changed, and I'm not totally sure it is for the best.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Ok, fair comment, I should have said *some* :redface: and I can't think of anyone who knows you who could begin to call *you* workshy! So, I apologise for not writing *some* and leaving you thinking that I may have included you in that description.
              Ok, like me, I think that should have read *some* ;)
              I agree and, I also believe I understand why. Their men do not want them to learn English because they do not wish their women to learn English ways. I'm not saying I agree with the principle, but I can sort of see their concerns.
              Ok, another example where the inclusion of *some* would be more appropriate :redface:

There is good and bad in all walks of life and in all cultures. I just feel that in order for us all to be able to begin to rub along together there has to be understanding on both sides! That includes why people are the way they are; why they believe in what they do.

• Like Like x 3