Long flowering perennials

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Jan 28, 2008.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Long flowering plants seem to be better value than ones that only flower for a short time. So I record each week what's in flower in the garden and what's not. I thought you might be interested in those that have done well for me this last year. The figures are for full flower ie lots of flower, but some may also be in part flower for an additional week or two - which I also record.

26 weeks Cuphea ignea - not hardy
    24 Astrantia Buckland
    23 Bacopa, Geranium Ann Folkard
    22 Argyranthemum Machio
    20 Astrantia Hadspen Blood
    19 Verbena bonariensis
    18 Pelargonium unique (thats a type) Bolero
    17 Campanula porscharskyana, Geranium Russel Pritchard, Persicaria amplexicalis Firetail
    16 Salvia leucantha, Salvia patens, Verbena rigida, Verbena Homestead Purple
    15 Geranium Patricia, Pelargonium Patens Unique, Salvia microphylla
    14 Dahlia Arabian Night, Diascia Little dancer, Salvia involucrata

In all there are 46 different plants which flowered for 10 weeks or more.

Any other long flowerers out there?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Osteospermums, spring to mind Peter.

3. Ethansmum

Ethansmum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, this is a great idea, thank you for sharing!

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Great idea! I have a couple of those in my garden, would you consider adding penstemon to the list? It may be quite late into flower, but I have one with two or three flowers still in bloom!

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    David - I would agree with you on Osteopermum - but mine had a bad year. Two years ago my best variety was in full flower for 17 weeks, but last year they could only reach 9 weeks.

Jarbox - I have a love/hate relationship with Penstomen. In 2004 I had ones that flowered for 17 and 16 weeks, but I have never been able to reproduce that. Are they one of these plants that are at their best in the first year and then go downhill afterwards? I have bought several, and they have mostly died as a result of being crowded out by more robust plants.

I would add to that list Centranthus ruber, in the 2004 I recorded it at 28 week in full flower. Last year I only recorded 11 weeks in full flower but 25 weeks in full and part flower. Its subjective as to what is full flower and what is part flower, but I regard it as a first class plant.

Some are very reliable, and come in the top few places every year. I have probably got enough data to do an average for several years.

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The thing is Peter, all plants have a bad year from time to time, They flower prolifically one year, the next they need to rest, to recuperate all the energy they expended the previous year.

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    David I am sure you are right. There is so much more to learn about plants. But there are some plants that seem to be very reliable and have a good year every year. Centranthus and Helenium being two of my favorites that spring to mind.

My Osteos are in pots, as I bring them in over the winter. I can't help feeling that however well you try to look after plants in pots, they are at a disadvantage compared to being in the earth.

8. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You can`t beat Mother Nature when it comes to looking after her own, Peter. We should all learn from her. [​IMG]

9. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My mum can't keep penstemom alive either! I have two which are so robust they tend to drown out everything else! One from a neighbour has been flourishing for a good 7 - 8 years now, the other is relatively new (2 yearsish), it is the second which is still in flower 9a deep purple - the other is a more 'common' deep pink)

They are notoriously non-hardy, but these two are hard as nails. Perhaps a different strain altogether?!

10. Ethansmum

Ethansmum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Peter, could you please tell me the name of the flower that is on your Avatar?

Thank you!

11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    It's Cleome - a half hardy annual. Grows to about four or five feet. Two years ago it was brilliant - three in a large pot had real presence. But last year I sowed it too early and put it outside when it was too cold and it just sulked all year and did nothing. Christopher Lloyd said to sow in early May - not earlier.

12. Ethansmum

Ethansmum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its gorgeous!I guess thats a good lesson for all of us at the moment. I'm dying to start sowing some seeds- but I really must be patient.

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Its well worth a go Ethansmum. It has great big flower heads four to six iches across, that you can see in the icon. These are made up of a large number of smaller flowers. It also has spines, but that's not a problem.

Just to clarify - reading my last post. Christopher Lloyd said don't sow general flower seeds too early - he suggested 1st March. But for a few special half hardy plants such as Cleome and Tithonia - he said wait till 1st May.