long handled secateurs

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Spruce, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    February already , getting started slowly

Question: for those fiddly just out of arms reach plants you want to trim a stem back etc ... so I was thinking "long handled secateurs" similar to the photo below

As usual would like any recommendations or keep away from....

Ta

Spruce

[​IMG]

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    We have one of these pruners which you can easily remove the saw blade from and just use the hooked cutters which do help catch the shoot to be cut.
    Also ideal if you need to reach longer or cut thicker branches, the saw blade is very effective.
    Here a S&J one, though ours was about £12 from Wilco some years ago.
    001883.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I bought a Darlac version similar similar to Ricky is showing, cant say I'm impressed as due to pully system that the rope goes around you need really long arms, on mine the length of cord between jaws fully open and jaws fully closed is 900mm.
      Its almost a two man job, which defeats the object in my view.

I cant comment on those kinds which you are showing @Spruce as I've never tried them, but assume there could be a lot of things that can bend inside them if you try to cut anything of any size.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,818
        How far do you need to reach? If not too far, how about a pair of telescopic anvil loppers instead? I have been using these S&J ones for about 18 months now, and remain pleased with them - they are sturdier than the kind you show, and capable of cutting through pretty thick stems. It's handy to have the option to use them unextended - I was using them at 'ground level' the other day to prune a shrub rose, without getting too close to the thorns!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,352
          Sir will look into

thank you
          Sir Spruce

• Funny Funny x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +15,334
            Personally, I'd avoid the Lidl long-arm pruner if it crops up. The first time I've bought any of their gardening stuff that fell apart after using a couple of times. I've got a couple of very old pull-cord types which are invaluable for fruit or general tree pruning.
            Have had two pairs of ratchet-type telescopic-handle loppers (Davaon Pro from Amazon) which were brilliant until the telescoping mechanisms gave up the ghost. Still good tools without being lengthened, though. Not keen on bypass loppers as sooner or later they meet their match on a thick stem and twist. Anvil-type blades have much more cutting power.