Long handled shears

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by hailbopp, May 19, 2024.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +857
    Wondering if anybody can recommend a good brand of long handled shears for cutting large wide hedges etc, not long handled grass edging shears.
    Most of the brands I have had a look at on the net are telescopic which in my experience are dreadful and after the last telescopic tool I bought which failed I vowed never to buy anything telescopic again. Something like the below but loathed to buy anything Spear and Jackson as believe their products are now all made in a China and are owned by a company in Hong Kong…could be wrong on this but the last Spear and Jackson tool I bought was complete rubbish.
    68D9264C-97E2-41B3-A88F-123C8EA90D39.png

I have a very large garden so need tools that will stand up to a fair amount of work. Certainly with gardening equipment I have found if you “ buy cheap you buy twice”!
    I do use quite a lot of Fiskars tools but they only appear to do telescopic handled shears or short handled. Thanks

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    I agree with you about telescopic tools @hailbopp, totally useless! If you prefer manual shearing rather than using a hedge trimmer it might be worth investing in Niwaki long handled shears. I have several of their shearing and pruning tools, but not the long handled shears. They are top quality.

3. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +857
    Funnily enough @Plantminded I was looking at some Okatsune long handled shears. The price of both these and the long handled ones made by Niwaki are slightly eye-watering!
    Wondered about these below but could be false economy. 2BD9E2C1-DF39-453C-8425-64000062FE65.png
    I have a Stihl petrol hedge trimmer but it does not make a nice job on the huge Laurel bushes ( I did not plant these and not keen on them but massive job to remove!). I use the petrol hedge trimmer on a large Beech hedge but not that clever with it and therefore not keen to use it on a couple of large Privet that are circular. No doubt if I attacked then with the hedge trimmer they would end up like small cubes.

4. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,332
    You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din :biggrin: My only hedges are Eleagnus, so medium risk for a hedgetrimmer leaving them looking hacked about. I have a lightweight battery-powered hedgetrimmer which is an absolute joy to use. For the last couple of years, some shrubs have got the trimmer treatment too, as well as (heresy) the shrub roses. I enjoyed manually trimming in clients' small gardens, but couldn't face it here. The clearing up afterwards is colossal too, even with a groundsheet :phew:

• Like Like x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,965
      Yes, the Japanese tools are expensive @hailbopp, for good reason I think because of the quality of the materials and cutting edge. I use a cordless hedge trimmer which is quite light and versatile. It gives a good finish on conifers, Portuguese laurel and Griselinia. Mine is made by Stiga. I have several other Stiga cordless tools including a lawn mower and a combined vacuum/leaf blower which I don’t approve of but it works well:)!

• Like Like x 1