Long long time away and a new project

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tripster1050, Aug 1, 2024.

1. Tripster1050

Tripster1050 Apprentice Gardener

Machinist
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello All,

It's been many years since I posted and a few different homes/gardens, but I return in need of much help and advice from you knowledgeable lot :)
    Just moved into our forever home 4 days ago and as the whole house needs renovating, extension and dormers, I have turned my attention to garden ideas.
    The previous owner was a very keen gardener and built/created everything you see but due to old age he could not maintain it anymore.
    The liner for the pond repeatedly split during the sale time frame so the fish where relocated and now left empty. We have a Spaniel and children so would like to fill part of the pond but leave the area under the bridge as a feature (ideas, and how to fill would be hugely appreciated)
    Hedgehogs, newts, frogs all abundant in the garden but we would prefer not to have such a large pond area.
    A fence along the side is needed due to the dog finding its way into everyone else's garden and removal of some hedges to reclaim some of the garden space. Behind pond is a bit of a rockery mess and we loose around 6ft of garden. The shed will go as its no longer needed for the pond filters and another one is at the opposite end.
    The pond filling is the biggest problem or how to partially fill with decorative stone. Could it be rebuilt smaller and a water feature made ?
    In desperate need of ideas as I am a total novice but do not wish to destroy the garden.
    Thank you all so much for any help you can offer
    P.S would the paving and bridge stone clean up with a light pressure washer ?

20240801_075548.jpg 20240801_075510.jpg 20240801_075526.jpg 20240801_075530.jpg 20240801_075543.jpg 20240801_075548.jpg 20240801_075551.jpg 20240801_075558.jpg 20240801_075601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2024
  2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,366
    Welcome back :blue thumb:

I can't advise on the pond but the cleaning of the stone will take a fair amount more than a light pressure was to get it clean. A heavy, very strong, pressure wash to remove what you can and then a paving cleaner will need to be put on it. You would need a plant friendly cleaner cleaner which will limit you. Something like "Wet and Forget" but that takes some months for it to clean it as it works gradually.

Good luck with it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,759
      I was just admiring the weathered stone with the lichens growing on it. I wouldn't clean it too vigorously if it were mine.
      I can't really help on the pond either, but to reduce the size rather than fill it all in, it might be best to build some kind of wall across and put soil against it on the pond side as well as filling in the not-pond-any-more side. Filling just with soil might not be firm enough to support the liner. The round part of the pond nearest the camera would look lovely as a flower bed, or you could fill it all in and plant under the bridge as a kind of dry riverbed effect, with gravel top-dressing and a few bigger stones/boulders.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,927
        I quite like the weathered look of the stone. I wouldn't use a pressure washer as they can easily blast out the grouting if you're not very careful.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
          Ratings:
          +687
          I love the lichen and the different colours on the stone. It would make a lovely backdrop to some bright flowers like phlox and rudbeckia.

• Like Like x 1
          • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
            Ratings:
            +575
            I would keep the pond replace the liner and top it with a metal grate. Set just below the water surface it wouldn’t be too visible and plants/wildlife would be able to move through and digs/children kept out. Great source of fun and education for children.

If you do fill it in, you could keep the leaky liner in situ and have rainwater plants ( plants that tolerate wet and dry rather than pure bog plants)? It may in reality be too shallow but hard to judge off photos. If getting rid, I think I would fill with soil rather than stone and treat it as a flower bed. You could go for a dry riverbed effect, within the space and going under the bridge but I think they are quite hard to successfully pull off.

Re the hedges, could these be trimmed back rather than removed. Established hedges give a garden a sense of maturity and a living, green border with minimal effort and great for wildlife. Also a greater sense of privacy, in my opinion, than hedges - I think it’s the sene of space between you and your neighbours and they do absorb some sound.

Always exciting to have a new garden and I think the ideas and planning phase it’s a big part of the fun

• Like Like x 1
            • Tripster1050

Machinist
              Ratings:
              +11
              I agree and would much prefer that too but the house over the back has built a breeze block wall with turrets and slabs atop. A real eye saw and in winter the hedges die back and reveal the monster

17225215190953877753888579938474.jpg 17225215612895880883432401005816.jpg

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
              Ratings:
              +575
              Could you put a trellis topper on for extra visual distraction in winter, keeping the hedges in situ? If you remove them you’ll just see the castle battlements all the time or at least for some years until any new planting matures?

• Tripster1050

Machinist
              Ratings:
              +11
              I was thinking of removing some of the hedges, leaving others and putting a fence all along. Would then add in plants rather than the hedges. I would loose some garden as the fence would stand off due to the tops of the 'turrets' . God knows why he built that and no one objected !
              Maybe he had a job lot of breeze blocks and felt the need to share

• Like Like x 1
              • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +3,055
                How old are your children? You could make a play area from the pond, like a sandpit, and the bridge could play at being a house, castle etc whatever they imagine. If your children are too old for that then order some topsoil and make a flower border.

• Like Like x 3
                • Tripster1050

Machinist
                  Ratings:
                  +11
                  Nearly 14 so past the sand pit age but did ask for a swimming pool ;)
                  The flower border sounds good, maybe some lights to illuminate the bridge on an evening. I lightly cleaned the stone, mortar has been used for grouting so very solid and came up nice. Didn't go made so as to keep some of the weathering. Shed now gone to make way for a greenhouse or summer house eventually
                  1722613266916512941587405083290.jpg 17226132974485897934614056452519.jpg 17226133099555702092293640281754.jpg 17226133352148910448122161141660.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2024