Looking for a feature tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Dragonfly Dianne, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Dragonfly Dianne

Dragonfly Dianne Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Hi, I'm looking for the right tree for the corner of my garden, im planning on taking up the plum tree and laural that are there at the moment and replacing them with one nice tree.
    I'm new to gardening and want to get it right, I like the red trees, but I'm open to all surgestions.
    I brought a smoky bush yesterday, but not sure the corner of the gArden it the correct place, it is small at the moment so would be hidden behind the fern infront.

All advice welcome, I want to get it right :)

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,468
    there is a crab apple that struck my fancy not long ago. I am still trying to find a spot for it. Forgot the name, but the berries in the fall are yellow, and they say the "light yellow" color reflects the moonlight at night. It would be good for the birds to eat on, and in the spring finds small flowers, the growth habit it more up than outward. So check it out. (BTW-I can find the name of the tree-by looking through a pile of mags when I am ready to get it)

Other than that, I would look for a tree that is a 4 season type, meaning that each season there is something unique in its appearance. the other thought is the birds, do you want a tree that is good for them, to hide in in the winter, to nest in etc. Not sure if you have some conifers to help the birds with winter protection.
    That are my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Ask yourself some questions like:

How big do you want it to get ultimately?
      How long will it take to get that big?
      Is it big enough for the space?
      Will it grow too big for the space?
      Do you want evergreen or deciduous?
      Will it grow in your soil, eg does it like clay, chalk, wet, dry, whatever your soil is?

You say you like 'red trees', presumably you mean red autumn colour but maybe you like berries? You also say you want to get it right: right for what?

Whatever you go for, I would try to choose something that the birds will like, maybe Rowan, Crab Apple, Silver Birch, a cherry (choose carefully as some don't fruit), Ameliancher.....just a few suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
      • Dragonfly Dianne

Ratings:
        +52
        Thank you so much, I will google crab apple, sounds nice. A 4 season type could be good too, lots to think about :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Dragonfly Dianne

Ratings:
          +52
          Oh boy! So much to think about! When we moved here almost a year ago, I found the garden was over crowded, some things were not growing well because of this. I have removed a few things to help other grow. I don't want to make this mistake and plant something too big. I will look up your suggestions, thank you :smile:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Ratings:
          +11,468
          About 25 years ago I was also looking for a special tree for the center of my front property, something unique, different. I fell in love with http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/ptehisa.pdf
          Now it took me nine months to find it. finally in a obscure little nursery, they had one.
          Is the tree for birds, nope, but the smell drifts 2 houses down with it blooms. And it is beautiful. Considering that I have lots of other "bird" shrubs/trees for them, it is ok to no go that direction.

I guess the point we are both making is, take your time, go look, get books, developing a proper property takes time and patients. Seeking out the unusual is also fun.

By the way while I am thinking about it, there are mock cherry trees that have beautiful red marbled bark on their trunks and interesting branching effects when the leaves are gone. Pretty small clusters of pink flowers in the spring and berries for the birds.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,118
          Corylus contorta,monkey puzzle tree,silver birch with white trunk,acer,nashi fruit tree ........

• Like Like x 1
          • Nutcracker South Somerset

Nutcracker South Somerset Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +143
            Smallish tress include Crataegus prunifolia, a good 4 seasons tree, there is a variety called "Splendens", or Amelanchier. Malus toringo "Scarlett" has bronzy red spring foliage and dark pink flowers, followed by dark red tiny apples which stay on the tree unless the birds eat them. Good autumn colours too. Lots of acers, most like some shade, not full midday sun which can scorch the leaves. Good hunting!

• Like Like x 1
            • PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
              Ratings:
              +338
              • Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Ratings:
                +11,468
                Last year, 2023 I ran across another tree I want, its on the smaller size, 25 feet. Unfortunately, right now, away, so the little note I have the name of it on is taped to my office bookcase. From what I recall it has dark red leaves, and white blossoms. If when I get back I can recall all this, will find the thread and post the name here. I like the look of a non-green leaf item planted to accent areas.

• PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
                Ratings:
                +338
                @redstar , another 'non-green leaf' item of interest is Ulmus x hollandica 'Wredei' ; more commonly known as the Golden Elm ; excellent golden yellow foliage retained from Spring through to Autumn .ulmus x hollandica 'wredei' - Recherche Google
                PS Of a space saving fastigiate growth too !

• Agree Agree x 1
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Ratings:
                  +11,468
                  Sounds pretty, but have lots of Yellow already.