Looking for ideas

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Jay9408, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Jay9408

Jay9408 Gardener

Ratings:
    +75
    Im looking for ideas on adding privacy and securing the outside fence of my allotment as we had break ins last year, im the end plot so i have a main road on one side and a public pathway behind my plot, its a fairly long fence bout 60 metre so the cheaper the idea the better

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Sorry to hear and just been all over the news about the lady who had salt applied all over her allotment ...

Have you spoken to the allotment society and the local council who would be in a better position to offer help and guidance. I has allotment many moons ago and occasionally the sheds would be broken into. I knew of one guy who had dug a 6 feet pit inside his shed that he had a cover on but would take off before he went home ... I did say to him he would be liable even if a burglar broke in and hurt himself !! I cant tell you what the answer was lol

Cheap hawthorn hedging or and rosa rugosa make a good boundary with lots of thorns

• Like Like x 1
    • Jay9408

Jay9408 Gardener

Ratings:
      +75
      I heard about that, I read that some money had been raised to help her so thats good!

Im not a member at my local society and my local council rep seems to be allergic to visiting and helping to improve our site at the moment so no help there really.

Thats a good idea though the possible assault charges are off putting!! Haha

I was thinking just plain barbed wire but i think its banned on my site and to be fair if someones determined enough theyll get over it.

Ill make a note of those two thank you! Luckily a good chunk of the fence is covered with bramble and hopps which is helpfull but not what id like there long term.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,968
      The council here are responsible for securing my allotment site, we have a good high metal fence to keep out unwanted guests. It was expensive to erect so it would have been unfair to expect the plot holders on the boundary to foot the bill. Have a word with your warden first.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +48,968
        How is your society organised? Each plot holder is normally automatically enrolled. Got to ask who you pay your rent to and what they do with the money?

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Jay9408

Jay9408 Gardener

Ratings:
          +75
          We have a 6ft fence surrounding but vandals can climb it pretty easily and one area is essencially a ramp sinse it was hit by a car ( this was yeats before i got there)

When i first got the plot my council rep tried to push the cost of removing asbestos from the site my way.

Were a council site with a council rep and a plot holder as secutary, so i pay my rent to the local council, the only allotment society around me is in another catchment area though i am able to join if i want to.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,352
            Can you join as a member ? and reap the benefits

Mine used to have cheap deal on potatoes and seeds etc even manure lol

• Like Like x 1
            • Jay9408

Jay9408 Gardener

Ratings:
              +75
              I can for the huge cost of £1 ive just never gotten around to doing it as theyre only open for a few hours early saturday morning and i always forget

• JWK

Ratings:
              +48,968
              Given the lack of council support how about planting spikey shrubs against the fence. Pyracantha for example is a good deterrent.

• Like Like x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +92,062
                My allotment site used to be pretty neglected.
                I propagated blackberries, (brambles) along where I wanted a bit of security.
                It can take a couple of years to really get them going but you do get a lot of blackberries as well.

• Like Like x 1
                • Jay9408

Jay9408 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +75
                  I do have blackberries along some of the outside fence but being roadside im not really keen on eating them

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Jay9408

Jay9408 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +75
                    I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there for diversity