LOOKING FOR MY 1ST CAMERA

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Folly Mon, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
    Ratings:
    +2,409
    As the titel says looking for my 1st Camera and Have Not got a Clue Wot I Want or Wot to Look For :doh:

i wouldnt mind a 2 nd hand one Wot I Do Know I Need it to be Pretty Stright Forward to Use Cus am an idiot with stuff like PC TVs and the like i still live like im in the 70s :loll:

I Dont Want to become David Baylee All I Want it for is My Garden Van and Photoing Stuff to put on to my PC Me Dog etc

i havent Got a Clue wot to expect to pay either cus have only ever used the camera on my phone and it aint Very Good

Any Help Pointers and Advice Would Be Gratley Apricated

I Am Not in No Rush just Somthing I Am Thinking Of Getting in the Next Month or Two All the Best FM Nick

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    What sort of budget do you have in mind Folly Mon? do you intend to purchase online or from a high street shop? would you consider a refurbished camera?

if purchasing online and your looking for a basic all rounder then you should be looking at no more then about £50 for at least 4x Optical zoom and a 14mp camera

points that immediately come to mind that will help you

• Look for a high number of "Pixels" usually ranging from 8-14mp in a modern compact digital camera
    • Look for a high number of optical zoom if you want to be able to take photos from a reasonable distance and ignore digital zoom as this just crops the image
    • Make sure the memory card slot is SDHC and not anything else as otherwise expanding the memory will be expensive
    • get one with a large digital screen for reviewing photos on the go
    I'm sure someone else will come along in a bit to add to what I've said.
    Online retailers I'd recommend for good deals on cameras:
    Id also recommend to have a regular look and search on hotukdeals.com as thats usually where the good deals end up:) also be wary of Hitachi as Argos just re-badge cheap Chinese cameras with that name.

• Like Like x 1
    • watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
      +549
      I have to disagree in respect of number of pixels.
      Reason is unless you want to "blow up" your picture to billboard size you don't need a huge amount around 2 megapixels (or just above) will be fine.

The other amusing thing is what you are looking at now, the computer screen, most can not use 15mp because they are simply too small. So if you take a picture with a 15mp camera, and the same picture with a 2mp camera chances are you will not be able to tell the difference when looking at the computer monitor.

But which camera? get one from a well known catalogue store, easier, less hassle and it takes pictures.
      The less buttons and features it has, (apart from optical zoom) the better, since there is less to get wrong when taking a picture.

• Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,664
        Good morning Folly Man, as our knowledgeable friends have covered most of it already I,m not going to bother you with all the technical stuff,You obviously just want a point and shoot camera:)I respectfully suggest going to Argos and get a Canon A800 which you can purchase for about £40,that will do everything you want to do,there thats put my head on the block:WINK1::)

• Like Like x 2
        • Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
          Ratings:
          +2,409
          Thank you For All Advice
          I am preapird to pay £50/£100 Max thank you for the links and guidance my phone camera is ok but want a half decant camera at the end of the day this is a phone good little pice of kit like now for eg on the net on GC at Work
          LoL Thank you Again Nick FM

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,889
          Nick, I used to have a pocket camera and progressed late last year to something a bit more complicated as I wanted to do more with it.

My pocket camera only had a screen to take shots with and not a viewfinder and I found on sunny days it was almost impossible to see what I was taking because of the reflection on the screen. It was a case of pointing and shooting almost completely blind and hoping I got the picture I was aiming it at. My new camera has both and until now I haven't used the screen to take pictures, just the viewfinder. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +55,156
            I bought a Fuji Finepix S1000fd and love it .. still don't know how to use it properly. I am not into pocket cameras ... I like the feel and heftiness of a 'real' camera. I also have an old Kodak DC4800 Zoom Digital with various attachments which I find brilliant, almost better than my Fuji! :hate-shocked: