Looking for okinawan sweet potatoes and how to grow them.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Wardy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Wardy

Wardy Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi I'm interested in growing these but have been unable to find any for sale in the uk. Does anyone know where I can buy them in devon of where I can order them? Also any past experience on growing these would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Joe

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,565
  3. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    They were mentioned as a preventative measure in a B.B.C. programme, about ageing and dementia.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Ah but, is this not a classic case of western analyst looks a group of people meeting some favourable criteria, looks at what they have in common, then concludes it's one single aspect of their diet?

The people of Okinawa are among the healthiest in the world. Not because they eat a particular sweet potato, but because they eat lots of locally grown, in season fruit and veg, fish, seaweed etc. And they tend to take a lot of freshair and exercise. And it's still in their culture to actively seek inner peace through meditation of various kinds. This all adds up to meaning they generally look after themselves better than many of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wardy

Wardy Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Thanks yeah they were mentioned in that dementia program but I wanted to grow them because they look good and seem interesting plants to grow. I enjoy growing the usual plants but I really enjoy growing unusual or different things. Thanks Nigel they look great. I'll probably try to grow them at some point. :)

• Like Like x 1