Losing my touch!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, May 2, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,883
    A few plants have committed suicide overnight, presumably I put too much blood fish and bone onto them.

My petunias weren't great to start with, so I reckon I am just going to have to buy some this year, but my real problem is tomatoes and sunflowers - again, they weren't exactly excelling themselves in the first place, but of those I did have, a good number of them have turned their toes up. Am I too late to re-sow?

2. blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
    +228
    I would think it is too late for normal/beefsteak toms. Cherry toms may still worth a shot. But I will buy seedlings instead at this time of a year.

3. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +51,883
    Aye, that follows what I was thinking - what a pain in the bum

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    We have only just sown our sunflowers so you haven't missed the boat on those. Last year I sowed them direct on 8th May and they did very well.
    I agree with blacktulip about tomatoes, its too late to sow any now for a worthwhile crop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +31,321
      My accidental sunflowers just sprouted last week. These must have been from seeds not eaten by the birds. So if Mother Nature just started them outside now, you should be okay too!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,883
        Thanks all. I am pretty fed up with myself to be honest - nothing is really getting going this year, and the odd thing that has, I have pretty much killed stone dead.

Begonias hate me (they always did), to the point that some of the ones I received have died in my care, my tomatoes have barely got out of the starting blocks (even Maskotka which are usually bullet proof!), marigolds have only just germinated, and now I have assassinated a couple of trays of petunias and a couple of fuschias into the bargain! The only things that are looking semi-healthy is dahlias, but even they are only just getting their first true leaves.

Maybe it is time to plant shrubs and forget about flowers and gardening. :mad:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +31,321
          No No No.

You have to stay in the game. The plants are flipping you the bird so show them who's boss. Put the poor performers aside, wait a few weeks and then get some robust seedlings from the shops so as to flip right back at those slackers! Take a little break from starting from seed. It IS allowed :)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,883
            I bought a 10 petunias, 10 geraniums and 10 trailing lobelia in the supermarket on the way home, then got home to an email from T&M offering a 72 plant lucky dip of summer annuals for £1.99, so I ordered three of those (it would have been rude not to), got a free hanging basket collection (15 plants), and then 72 petunia pictoee edged for £9.99.

I might just be back in the game!

I think next year, I will start to move over to bulbs though - less hassle, and easier on my old body.

• Like Like x 3
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,076
              I'm tending to think you still stand a chance with toms, I only sowed mine three weeks ago for outside growing, it's my usual sowing time and I reckon by the end of May they will be about right for planting out.
              If you want them for the greenhouse FC then they will go like the clappers in the next two months, might fruit a bit later, but mine usually start to ripen out doors in August.

Of course just buying a few plants is a lot easier though.;):)

Not sure what it is FC, but you appear to be doing something fundamentally wrong, to have so many plants dying on you, I'm wondering if you are overwatering, it's very easy to do in the early stages when the weather is dull or not that warm.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +53,889
                It may not be you FC, what potting compost are you using this year?

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +31,321
                Stop using the water out of your belly button. :)

Glad you're not giving up!

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,838
                [​IMG]

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                Excessive feed would have caused a very visable curling of the uppermost tomato leaves. BFB is slow release, so unless you used massive amounts it would not cause sudden death.

It will have taken my tomatoes about 9 weeks from sowing until they will be ready for planting out, so if you sowed now it would be 1st July before they were even planted, then they would need to grow big enough to produce flowers, then fruit, then ripen.

There's a lot more light and warmth now, but you're still going to lose time from a relatively short growing season. 2 Years ago August temps dropped below 10 deg C and my plants stopped growing.

Yes, still time for sunflowers, especially if sowing direct in open ground, but protect against slugs (and mice). My pot sown sunflowers are only about 50mm high, and those to be sown direct will be going in during the next week.

• Like Like x 2
                  Last edited: May 3, 2017
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +51,883
                  J Arthur Bowers MPC - pretty rubbish to be honest; the first bag was OK, but every bag thereafter has been very poor. I wouldn't say it was woody, but I am considering using it as chimnea fuel later in the year :biggrin:

It appears that my 'emergency' re-potting has worked, as some stuff has perked up today. A couple of fucshias still look a bit huffy, but I shall bear with them and see how they get on. I had a look at some of the tomatoes too - although small, they might just take a spurt when the temperatures increase (particularly the night temperatures). I have the heating set to 10ºC, so only just keeping the chill off things really, and still too low for vigorous growth too I reckon?

@pete - definitely not overwatering, I have been very careful about watering this year. I have also put slightly opaque plastic sheeting on the inside of the roof to attenuate the light a wee bit - my prior problem was stuff drying out far too quickly.

Of course, I bought 30 plants yesterday and ordered another couple of hundred, so I may end up over-run with plants now that I have saved a load.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +53,889
                    Perhaps it is the MPC then. Is it worth experimenting with another type to see if that makes a difference? Another consideration is sun or the lack of, that's made a big difference to early growth with my seedlings/young plants in recent years. They just don't seem to get away.

• Like Like x 1