lost and confused

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dizzzylizzzy, Feb 15, 2007.

1. dizzzylizzzy

dizzzylizzzy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Registered only on Wednesday as I am, for the second year growing plants from seed, so I'm still finding my way round the site. If you're reading this then I've come a long way already. Lost every plant last year. Started this year with strawberries, petunias and lobelia. Kept seeds from last year which I had to end up buying. Still never sure as to how wet the soil should be. Got some in a heated propogator and some in an unheated one.

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again dizzy. The seedlings will only need watering when the top of the compost starts to dry out. Water them by placing the seed tray in a tray of water for about 10 minutes or until the surface of the compost is damp. Allow to drain. You should only need to do this about once a week. Use only tap water to prevent damping off (fungal rotting of the stems).
    The propogator should only used for germinating the seeds, once they are up, move the seedlings into a room or greenhouse in good light and keep at about 15 degrees.
    See this thread for further info on propogation problems
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000042;p=1
    Ask if there is anything else you're not sure of. Good luck [​IMG]

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, DL!! Don't lose heart - once spring has sprung and you have far too many seedlings you'll wonder what you were worried about!! Honest!!

Just post your questions in what looks like the most relevant area, and we'll soon find them, and answer them - and if wedon't you can PM (private message) most of us! Just use the little symbols above our posts, or go to our profiles. A few of us have to be a bit more private than that, but that'll work for most of us.

Oh, and there are quite a few of us in your area! :D

4. dizzzylizzzy

dizzzylizzzy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all. I should get 10 out of ten for effort I'm sure.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    At the very least, DL!! :D

6. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lizzy, the thread I started that Blackthorn has listed is a good one. I was having real trouble with seedlings & damping off. I then followed the advice on that thread by covering the seeds with vermiculite & spraying with Cheshunt compound. I also only soak the trays in water from the bottom once a week & so far....bingo. it seems to be working.
    good luck