Lost gardens of Heligan

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Rich, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  2. monty

monty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    went three weeks ago brilliant [​IMG]

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Rich we have been there a few times.It is a fantastic place esecially the nature reserve.In fact all of it was nice.Needed a day there though [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Although I could easily do a Google on Heligan, thought I would ask on G.C. out of interest for myself and probably many others on the forum.
    What is the history behind Heligan Gardens please?

Cheers!
    Royster

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Think it was left to a guy in a relatives will. He had no idea about it until it was left to him, thoroughly overgrown and untouched for years. So if I've any distant rellys reading this who are about to pop their clogs - I want one of those!!! :D :D

6. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Heligan was discovered in 1990 after 75 years of neglect.The land used to belong to the Tremayne family and consisted of over 1,000 acres,of which almost 200 acres have now been restored.

The gardens fell into neglect when a great many of the staff enlisted in the Great War of 1914-1918.The majority of the staff lost their lives in that war and the Tremayne family slowly lost interest,because new staff could not be found.
    Heligan House was used as a convelesant hospital for the wounded in that war,but eventually that fell also into neglect.

Around 1970 the house was sold off, due to death duties so now is owned by new owners and so isn't part of the lost gardens.

Tim Smit started the project in 1990 and with help from volunteers hacked away the 200 acres that is now open to the public.
    It is an ongoing project and well worth a visit.
    Hope this helps...

7. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    spot on Kandy,i went there but couldnt find it :D :D

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Macleaf.We used to pass the signs with Heligan's name on it when they first started clearing it as we were flying past.It was only after Channel 4 did the documentary about how it all started after the gardens were rediscovered.The rest is history...

9. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Windy :D :D !
    Keith MacLeaf :D :D !

Kandy - thanks for the info. Totally and thoroughly interesting!!
    I presume there is more than 1 book written about the place and its history but I would guess that we have to wait and see if there will be further documentaries and perhaps a movie based on the Lost Gardens of Heligan. Wouldn't that be wonderful!!

Royster

10. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Royster.If you look at the Heligan website,there is loads of information about the books videos and DVD's and everything to do with Heligan.
    I would reccomend everyone to visit the place.We haven't done Eden yet as we think Heligan is far better value

11. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks once again Kandy - I will most certainly do so!
    I have to wonder how many other lost gardens are out there somewhere, many of which will not have such a fortunate reunion with society as did Heligan...?
    Its really, really sad to contemplate!

Kind regards
    Roy

12. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    The saddest part I think is the pencil writing on one of the outside privvy walls that one of the youngsters wrote,a piece of Graffiti even in those days,now covered in perspex to preserve it for all time

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Roy - The best coverage of Heligan I know of was the Channel 4 programmes - the Lost Gardens of Heligan and Return to the Lost Gardens of Heligan. I managed to find the videos on Amazon - well worth the small price.

There is also Tim Smit's book.

Amazingly he found the gardens quite by accident, having moved to Cornwall from London when he met the newly inherited owner.

When I visited I wondered why it did not feel or look like other gardens - til I realised it is less a celebration of the garden, but more a celebration of those gardeners past, including the large number that did not return from the first world war.

14. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    So it would seem Kandy and Fran that Heligan is indeed a sad place - a place to "celebrate" loss, not only of people during and since the war but also a loss of the garden itself. So in some ways its like a very beautiful grave stone that had been consumed by the surrounding plant life, only to be resurrected unto its original glory, but in a somewhat different light than before.
    Happiness with lots and lots of sadness all intermingled!

Roy

15. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
    I absolutely loved Heligan.
    This is me and Mrs Roders there 2003...
    Will never forget that day.

[​IMG]