Lucky Bamboo help needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RudeBwoyUK, Nov 17, 2012.

1. RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +61
    Got these Lucky Bamboo things in a flower bouquet earlier this year and have kept them in water for about 6months now: [​IMG]

So we stuck em in water and they rooted. i think they look a bit crap sitting in a vase and want to put em into a pot or two. So anyways i was thinking, if i cut the bamboo in the picture from where i'm holding it (roughly) and try get the top half to root in water and put the other half in soil, both will live? Like the bottom half will grow shoots and the top half i can get to root?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    I've not tried myself but I think it will..

Being not actually, bamboo but a species of dracaena, it should be OK, although I would not say now is the best time of the year for rooting cuttings.
    Roots formed in water can take a while to establish in soil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_(plant)

• Like Like x 1
    • Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
      +1,019
      I have a smaller one than yours. I put mine in soil after it grew a few little roots (like yours) and it's still growing O.k after 8 months.

• Like Like x 1
      • RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
        +61
        I've got a few of these stems, so just to experiment I chopped off the rooted end of one and stuck it in one of me recycled plastic bottles on window sill. Like this in the left side of the pic -
        [​IMG]

If/When something sprouts from it i'll post back in this thread and let you guys know.

I've just found a nice little pic of something I could do with mines. Looks pretty funky eh?
        [​IMG]

So can i train the shoots to grow in different shapes and eventually they harden and turn woody like the main stem? Sorry for the dodgy questions lol.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        the only other thing I will personally do is to seal the top with wax , at this time of the year it will rott from the top , plus I would have rotted in water first , more chance of success. :blue thumb:

• RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
        +61
        mentioned to my friend all the other tips are sealed with a greeny wax type thing, and said maybe i should do that with some wax. My friend in reply said maybe wax has bacteria that might harm the plant. So left it, but I probs will go ahead and do it in the morning since you said it lol.

• RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
        +61
        Just remembered this thread lol. Anyways the bamboo sticks i cut all started yellowing and rotting. Threw em away a couple weeks back.

Anyways I found a series of youtube videos made by a self proclaimed lucky bamboo expert which showed how to propagate em. Basically its done by cutting off the leafy shoot off, stripping some of the lower leafs of and sticking it water. I got a couple in water at moment so see how that goes ;)

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I wish I'd noticed this thread sooner.

A lass at my previous work had a similar arrangement, and by committee we decided she should try to grow them on. Her's all rotted too, but I think that's because we kept the same water for too long (literally several weeks) and it started to stink. She washed them in the end but in hindsight, I suspect that by then the water had already become stagnant and done its worst on the new immature roots, starving them of oxygen (all the 'free' oxygen in water is gone when the water becomes stagnant, and toxins build up).

In hindsight, we agreed that if we were to try again, we'd change the water very regularly to keep it fresh and avoid bacteria developing in there.

• RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
        +61
        just thought i'd mention dont use tap water as lucky bamboo doesnt like fluoride thats in it.

• Like Like x 1
        • Andy S

Andy S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          I would like some advice please, I bought this from a well-known supermarket they've been growing amazingly and they are the point where I can propagate, they come in a stupid container not suitable for planting more in which I would need to replace to be able to grow more. Do you suggest breaking the pot to get them out? as I don't really want to pull them.

Also can you offer some advice in what to replant them in.

Thanks

Andy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024