Lucky find / doing my bit:)

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by clueless1, Feb 27, 2012.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    A few months ago, yes months ago, I was walking down the beach when I spotted a load of busted fishing net that had been washed ashore. I'm having that I thought, my intention to being to fasten it to the fence and let peas use it to climb up.

Trouble was, when I had a closer look, too problems became apparent. Firstly, there was too much for me to manage in one go. Secondly it was part buried in drifted sand so I couldn't get it out. No problem I thought, I'll come back with some scissors and get a bit at a time.

Then I forgot about it, and kept on forgetting about it, only remembering when I'd spot it again while walking past.

Today I remembered, and took some scissors down there and pilfered a rucksack full of busted washed up fishing net. I'm quite please for the obvious reason that it will save me having to spend money setting up an array of strings for my peas, but also because that's one chunk of washed up net that isn't going to pose a problem for the wildlife.

• Like Like x 6
    • Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
      +120
      That's not a bad idea, although I've never seen enough fishing net on our local beach to make a reasonable climbing net for sweetpeas or whatever. I have had the odd bit of driftwood to add a nautical feel here & there plus one or two pebbles for pot-mulching purposes (don't tell anyone!)
      I have seen some coastal gardens where the owners have made a feature of flotsom, e.g. "sculptures" made by artistically arranging plastic beach sandals and buckets & spades.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        My original plan was to make a seaside themed garden. I even scavenged a nice chunk of washed up tree trunk to make into a bench. It was lovely on the beech, having gone silvery grey from being soaked for who knows how long in the sea followed by getting sun bleached for who knows how long on the sand. Once it got to the slightly shady and moist conditions of the garden, its gradually gone back to half rotten wood colour. Still ok though, the lad has claimed it to add to his assault course he's been making out of other bits of wood we've found down the beach.

• Like Like x 2
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Nice one Clueless,i love finding things like that:dbgrtmb: