Lumpy bumpy bald lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by peacemakerukuk, Apr 3, 2011.

1. peacemakerukuk

peacemakerukuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    This is my first post here (but probably not my last :heehee:) so please be gentle with me :loll:.

We moved into our home last summer so haven't had much time/opportunity to do much with it (and neither did the previous owners by the looks of things). We have now started regularly mowing the lawn and its a mess but I'm not sure what to do with it. We appear to have quite sandy soil and when we mowed it last summer it was like a dust bowl. The main problem other than alot of bald patches is the uneveness of it. Its very lumpy and bumpy and we are not sure how to fix it. Its not helped by the lawn mower we have, a roller mower which doesn't like the lumps but its all we have at present. So, question is what should we do? Is there a type of grass thats ok with sandy soils and how do we make the lawn so its flat? Apologies in advance if these are silly questions but I only have a basic knowledge of plants etc..

Thanks in advance.

Sue

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    It would help if you could take a picture or two so we can see what we and you are dealing with. Sometimes it's difficult to guess at the answer otherwise.:)