Lumpy bumpy slopey thing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rumble, Aug 3, 2006.

1. rumble

rumble Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is at the side (only) door of my house.
    Badly neglected and no privacy.
    I've started to tidy it up and have planted in a sort of curved border at the top towards the back green, but I'm stuck for what to do with the slope. :confused:

I've started to dig it over and remove weeds, but I don't know whether to just try to make it an even(ish) slope and plant ground cover plants ? -- slope runs length ways and side ways too. I don't think I've got the skills to do any hard landscaping. I know it's a mess but any thoughts of how I might make it a bit better would be greatfully received !

[​IMG]

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I would put some sort of bushy trees next to that fence on the right, i assume that is an ajoining fence to your neighbours, just to give you a bit privacy, other members can also put their expertise [​IMG]

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'd be tempted to create more "sitting space" by cutting back the ground to the right of the flags by about 5 or 6 feet.
    Then think about creating a trellis around your private space with an opening leading to your upper garden.

Having done a garden recently for someone else I can definately say that yellow stone chips make an enormous difference to the 'warmth' of the place.

4. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Big job but I think you have loads of scope to make that area look fab.

I'd dig it all over and plant it with tall shrubby things by the fence working down in size towards your path, it will obviously be a lot of hard work but well worth it and you won't be able to do it all at once, as long as you realise that you'll be okay.

Have a look at some gardening books/mags to see what kind of plants you like too.

A bit vague I know but I think it could look really good and give you more pravacy and something nice to look at when you open your door.

Stingo

5. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Well rumble, I think that you garden has real potential. It looks strangely familiar. My garden is too on a slope. Along the fence I would probably plant some rambling roses, but I a sucker for roses I just love the colours. If you have the time, you could try to even out the slope by making it into a raised bed. I used log roll as a border and willow filled it with topsoil. I have a few bulbs for the spring planted, replace with some bedding plants for the summer and then I�m going to try some primrose for the winter.
    Might be nice to make a small pathway to the back of your garden, even a few stepping stones sunk into the grass could make all the difference.

Really big challenge but I think what ever you do will be loads of fun and something to be very proud of. [​IMG]

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting shape and size - lots of potential to do things yourself. First decide what you want from this space - what do you want to do in it - and what would be your ideal style - thats where the books at the garden centre come in real handy.

From the picture you posted you need some kind of planting for privacy - but as you are low down in relation to the overlooking houses - I would suggest you go for light foliage trees, and medium sized shrubs between. Its surprising how birches and the like can provide privacy even with no leaves.

But before you do anything, map out your ideas on paper, - whether patio, terraced bed, pool, whatever - pay attention to the directions of your curves and feature points e.g pool and fountain, large feature container etc. At the moment coming out of your side door your eye is drawn straight to the houses over the fence - however with a bit of planning you can get your and others eyes drawn lower to another feature and then led over to the right.

Just the right time to start planning your dream garden - and then the autumn to get stuck in.

You are very lucky to be starting with a relatively clean palette.