Lupin Aphids

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by KyreCookie, Jul 14, 2016.

1. KyreCookie

KyreCookie Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

I had a lovely lupin growing to one side of my apple tree. It became absolutely infested with aphids, and by the time I realised what they were the lupin was almost dead. I removed the lupin remains this morning, but the soil has what looks like hundreds of them still there, crawling around. They don't seem interested in anything else, none on the apple tree or any of the plants nearby, and they haven't touched my chili pot which is right next to where the lupin was, thank goodness!

Will they just die now with no lupin to eat or do I need to kill them with something? I'm wary of chemicals in the garden since I have pets who like to snuffle around, and I definitely don't want to hurt the apple tree.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,880
    It seems to be par for the course this year KyreCookie. :doh:Several members including myself have lost their Lupins to aphids. I've cut mine right back to the ground and they will re-shoot next spring. You say you're wary of chemicals but if you don't mind using washing up liquid diluted in water, that will kill the aphids off without damaging plants, soil or pets. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,549
      Lupin aphids are a pernicious pest, one of the largest aphids. It is specific to lupins, fortunately.
      Luckily I have not seen any this year, yet.
      I tend to rub off at the first sighting, although if it is a bad infestation I will use an organic contact pesticide.

• Like Like x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +31,299
        I suggest you search for products containing spinosad.

It is a natural aphid destroyer amongst being efficient with other insects.

I cannot take credit for this wonderful tip that has been my best garden gladiator as it was referred to me by @chuck and this man really knows a lot about natural weapons :love30: :)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • KyreCookie

KyreCookie Gardener

Ratings:
          +11
          Thanks all, I'll give these a go :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1