Lupin aphids

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by wren1, May 22, 2022.

1. wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    I've always struggled with aphids on my lupins. This year one plant was infested before it even had any significant growth on it, and no flower buds. I've sprayed it with soapy water every single day but still there are more. I've tried garlic solutions in the past and I squish as many as I can but I can't get control of them. Ladybirds don't seem to do anything and I've seen earwigs on there but again, they don't help.

So today I have cut one right down to the ground because it's beyond saving but there are still loads of aphids crawling around the ground and I don't want them to move on to my other lupin plant which is doing ok but does still have some aphids. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them, or do I just have the soak the ground with soapy water and hope for the best?

The problem lupin is The Governor variety and I don't know what type the other is but it's a very deep purple one. It does get aphids but not as bad as the Governor.

I love my lupins and I've really put the effort in so this is really annoying!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,641
    Insecticide, I'd rather apply one dose of something that works rather than repeated doses of something that doesn't.
    Even washing up liquid is a chemical.

• Like Like x 1
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,863
      I've given up growing them, I did try Bug-Clear but it didn't work that well.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +614
      Hi
      There are many plants that repel aphids and for best results you should include as many as you can on your plot.
      • Marigolds Repel Aphids. ...
      • Mint Repels Aphids. ...
      • Alliums Repel Aphids. ...
      • Rue Repels Aphids. ...
      • Basil Repels Aphids. ...
      • Rosemary Repels Aphids. ...
      • Lavender Repels Aphids. ...
      • Rye Repels Aphids

• Look at this site

Growing Guides › plant...
      Plants That Repel Aphids [Top Plants To Get Rid Of Aphids] its worth a try

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,641
        I think the point is unless you have a Lupin that repels aphids your not going to get rid of them easily.

I think the Lupin aphid is specific to Lupin so can't really see how growing something non Lupin is going to deter them from Lupin. :dunno: