Lupin Seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by islayhawk, Apr 27, 2012.

1. islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    My Lupin seeds appear to have failed to germinate. Soaked them for 24hrs but never scarified them
    Do they have to be scarified and soaked - and is the 24hrs a critical time. How does everyone get them to germinate

islayhawk

2. noksucow

noksucow Gardener

wood machinest
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't want to rub salt in your wounds but I have never sown before and did nothing but soak them for 24 hrs and they have germinated so maybe you have a bad batch, how long have they been sown , mine took about 8 days

3. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    I have never scarified or soaked them and ive never had a problem. Just pop two seeds in per pot in a good seed compost, and leave outside. Keep them watered. Ive sowed mine from May to September and have had an excellent germination rate.
    These seeds are as hard as nails.

G

• Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      The only time that I grew them they seemed to need a spell in the fridge. Could just be coincidence though..........

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      Like Mr. Grinch I've never scarified or soaked Lupin seeds. After potting I start them off in my electric propogator to germinate quicker. They do take a while though. :)

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,359
      Never heard this.

G

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,091
        Think that you just confirmed that I got lucky!!

• michell8151

michell8151 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        to Grinch,

I saw you have had success with lupins. I've recently encountered 2 young grown lupin red rums from crocus.co.uk. I have just planted 5 days ago. The leaves on the side are wiltering, gradually working up. I gave them another bucket of water realising I had not watered enough. In the morning the leaves had sprung to life. Come home, and found they started to dry out. What do you think the problem is? I have put the fungi crystals, bonemeal in the hole, and surround it with organic manure.

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
        +1,663
        Last year was my first attempt with Lupin seeds - collected from my successfully grown plant (finally kept the Slugs away long enough for it to survive.
        All I did was to put 30-40 seeds in a flat seed tray in GP compost, covered with compost and left in the greenhouse over winter. By February seeds were showing and, when they fot to about 2" transplanted onto individual 3" pots. I got about 20 seedlings (60%) so am pleased. I've given some away. Here's a picture of the ones I kept.
        Lupin Seedlings.jpg DSCF1036.jpg
        There are also some self seeded plants still in the border (I'll move them when established.)

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,883
        Sainsburys are selling established lupin plants this year for £3 each, and they seem to be really healthy; I bought three of them, and so far they are doing well.

I know its not the same as growing your own, but maybe get you started?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,889
        If the Lupins were only planted five days ago there roots will not have settled yet, they will also be close to the surface. With the dry weather we've had you will need to water them every day.